3Likes
  • 1 Post By Portroyaltrapper
  • 1 Post By Portroyaltrapper
  • 1 Post By Hern

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Started my fur handling

Started putting up my fur last night. I’ve been 95 percent taught about trapping from YouTube. It took my awhile to get the skinning end of it figured out. after that I bought a fleshing knife and beam. the knife I purchased was a cheap one and only had a dull side which didn’t work out well for me. So I ended up skinning and putting all my hides in the freezer all season. I moved to port royal from Carlisle last summer and my neighbor across the road came over to introduce himself and was talking to me about hunting and what not. I started talking to him about trapping and turns out his brother is licensed nuisance trapper Nelson hosler from district 8 and actually taught my cable restraint class when I first moved to port royal. I told the neighbor a few weeks ago about the difficulties I was having on the fur handling end of it so he invited me to Sunday breakfast with his brother. Nelson had me bring some of my hides over last night and taught me lots of stuff I didn’t know. I was in deep focus last night so I only got one picture. I’ll post more when we get them all done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 246C2AD5-3AEC-4315-B107-61169F30A8CF_1522418904013.jpg (823.4 KB, 25 views)
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Looking good!

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 05:18 PM

If you’ve never put up fur, you must be enjoying beginners luck. You did a great job. What are your plans for your pelts? .....selling now, freezing for next season, home tanning, or sending out for tanning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
If you’ve never put up fur, you must be enjoying beginners luck. You did a great job. What are your plans for your pelts? .....selling now, freezing for next season, home tanning, or sending out for tanning?

I Might try to tan some of them myself And sell some others. I’m getting my bobcat and fisher mounted. I did take my first beaver, coyote and 6 foxes to Johnson’s fur to get tanned already
Bigbrownie likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 07:02 PM

sounds like you're a quick learner and things are starting to get good for you ,and welcome to HPA
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 07:34 AM
The Man

prt, I pm'd you.
You are welcomed here anytime for help putting up fur. (or any member of this site).

Nelson- you learned from a good guy. He & I ran trapline together several years ago. We put up fur other times together. Nelson use to trap down south. When he returned home, We had a fur put-up day(s) in his shed.
bohunr likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hern View Post
prt, I pm'd you.
You are welcomed here anytime for help putting up fur. (or any member of this site).

Nelson- you learned from a good guy. He & I ran trapline together several years ago. We put up fur other times together. Nelson use to trap down south. When he returned home, We had a fur put-up day(s) in his shed.
Pm’d Ya back hern. Between Nelson’s knowledge of trapping and his brother Ross’s knowledge of archery hunting I learn a lot at Sunday morning breakfast
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Took some more fur over to Nelson’s last night. Hern stopped over to help too. I’m still a little slow on the fleshing so hern and Nelson did most of that and I stuck to the boarding. Learned a lot and had a good time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0868163E-C818-4642-9675-A3D453A963CC_1523032846460.jpeg (139.8 KB, 18 views)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 08:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

That's great to hear that there are people out there who will be glad to help.

I'll be hacking up some fur next year. I too have been burning up YouTube watching how-to videos.

Good luck to you next year. It'll be my first full season so I really hope to have some decent success.

NRA Lifetime Member
PTA
NTA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page