Youth Spring Muskrat Season? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Youth Spring Muskrat Season?

I received the latest edition of PA Outdoor News in the mail today and I see an article that one of the ideas the PGC is considering a spring muskrat season for junior trappers. The PGC would like to see more youth get involved in trapping which is always a good thing. Spring muskrat trapping isn't unheard of here in PA. There was a separate spring season for 'rats from 1964 to 1970 that ran from mid-February until mid-March.

Other ideas are youth fisher and beaver. What are your thoughts?

The horizon is your starting point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 06:54 PM
Part of the Community

just another season for the outlaw adults to take advantage of.why do we need to pat our kids on the head and say nice work for taking that muskrat or trout before anyone else can.i cut my teeth on muskrats and coon in the 70's as a youngster when the competition was high and i did alright along with alot of my buddies.don't get me wrong we need more young people in the field but i don't think all these youth seasons are the way to go.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 08:24 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm for it outlaw adults or not. If it gets kids involved we must be supportive. The only thing that may be an issue is that alot of the state remains under significant ice feb- mar some years- but that is part of trapping too I suppose!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 01:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

and at the same time be doing studies on why the rat population is in decline, but its for the little children, if their mom or dad don't take them out in the reagular season I doubt they will in a kid season
Hern likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Couple of good points by catmando.

Trapping for fox, raccoon, coyote, possum and skunk run from the end of October until the end of February. That's 4 months of trapping that kids can learn on the line and raccoon, skunk and opossum are fairly easy to catch. I've taken my son and 3 of my nephews out on the line to learn first hand, let them set traps and experience the excitement of the catch. Out of those 4, my oldest and youngest nephew are the ones that caught the trapping bug but nowadays my oldest nephew has German Shorthairs and would rather bird hunt. My youngest nephew is still into it though.

Yes, the muskrat population is very depressed around my area. I mostly mink trap these days and even so I rarely catch an accidental muskrat. I don't believe it's trapping pressure that's hurting the rats, I think it's a combo of habitat and predators. In my area, most of the streams are rocky, fast moving water that are lined with trees. Not what you would call prime muskrat habitat.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 07:23 PM

I'm neither for or against it. I doubt it would generate a lot of interest. And yes, adults would abuse the opportunity. Spring rats are really pretty here in Pa. Used to be a lot of males were chewed up from fighting....I doubt that's the case today with a much reduced population.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 07:36 PM

a lot of good pro's and con's on this subject mostly pro's .hope it goes thru for the youngsters
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 05:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

if they want to do something for the kids, how about a week long rifle season for buck only during the peek of the rut? man the internet would light up then
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmando View Post
if they want to do something for the kids, how about a week long rifle season for buck only during the peek of the rut? man the internet would light up then
You should post this in the General Hunting Forum. You would get about 150 replies within the first hour with people just ripping you apart!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperrick View Post
You should post this in the General Hunting Forum. You would get about 150 replies within the first hour with people just ripping you apart!
Yep. Can't let them kids shoot my buck.

Ohio has a 2 day youth gun season that occurs right in the peak of the rut. Imagine doing that here.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page