Mink Trapping - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Hern

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Mink Trapping

I've done a fair amount of trapping in my life, but have never trapped for mink. I want to change that next season. For those of you that trap mink...what sort of sets do you mainly use? Botton-edge, blind, pocket sets? Do you ever use any lure or bait......if so what sort of lure and/or baits do you use? Any commercial baits? Looking for some of you expert minkers to give a newbie some sound advice.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 07:22 AM
Part of the Community

U need to talk to Cougar Jim guy from Perry County.

NRA LIFER,HUNTER, SHOOTER, TRAPPER, PTA, NMTA
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 07:45 AM
Part of the Community

I run mostly blind sets with 150 size bodygrippers. Bottom edge, top edge, dry trail sets, and funnel points make up most of my line. I do throw pocket sets with footholds in if perfect spot is present. I either leave my pockets unbaited, or I throw 1/2 of a muskrat carcass in. I set every log crossing with a 150 that I come across too. At least 4 traps at every stop, Unless its a tiny trickle of water where one trap fills the entire channel. I start setting traps in the water (bottom edge) and then try to move up each stream bank vertically to cover all possible travel ways that a mink could take, usually ending with dry trail sets through high grass or brush. Also, become a member of minktrapping.com! Theres a lot to learn on the forums there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 08:06 AM
The Man

First, I would suggest to register to be member of Don Powell's www.minktrapping.com Go to the discussion page.
Ton's of Mink info on that site. Plus, Don is a resident of Pennsylvania. Don is known throughout the USA trapping community as The Mink Professor

As for your questions here, you will get a variety answers about sets, which will relate to personal choice or style of Mink trapping for each person.
Personally, I'm a blind setter. Mainly dry ground or water's edge. No lure or bait. Knee boots for my Mink method.
I use #1 1/2 coil springs (with larger pan) & #2 coil springs. My Mink traps are rigged with 3'-4' light weight chain & small, 2 prong, Mink drag.
With trap rigged with drag, I have no need to carry wire or linesmen pliers. If setting at bridge wall or water's edge, I simply extend drag into water and place rock on top of drag.
If trapping streamside tree's root system, drag is pre-hooked to root.

Any method you use, study Mink & it's travel ways. They don't go in every hole. They don't look in every hole. I've observed Mink hunting along stream banks. When nosing around/hunting, Mink appear more Snake like to me. Moving head back & forth, up & down slowly, watching for movement & sniffing things out, all while taking small steps or small stride.
When traveling, Mink lope. Which seems like a Grey Squirrel hopping across the back yard. In which, I tell folks, If you can catch a Squirrel, you can catch a Mink.

Pre-season work will aid in your success with Mink. Scout your areas. Pick your locations. Make a good location better. By that, move rocks, dig pockets, build up corner of bridge wall and so on before the season. This will save much time & guess work on setting day. Just remember to hide (camo) your pre-season work from others.
Set more than 1 trap at a location. Set 2-4 traps (or more) depending on size of waterway. Mink trapping is a game of numbers. More traps = more chances of this smaller footed critter. Up your odds with more traps and good sets per location.
Dennis Hill and trapperrick like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 03:26 PM

listen to Hern and the others on here I believe they have been doing it for quite some time
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 07:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use mostly pocket sets, most are not baited as I try to avoid coon. When using bait, I like fresh fish, about the size of your hand, a half of muskrat carcass, and I also like to use a half of mink carcass. 97% of my sets are in the water so the mink drowns quickly and is out of sight.

I didn't make it to the gym today. That makes five years in a row.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in