Trapping in public view? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Trapping in public view?

Driving to work this morning on a very busy public road I saw a fox in a trap about 75 yards off the road. 300 yards from the nearest woods. While I enjoy hunting and trapping I don't like to see animals suffer anymore than they have to. And I am sensitive to some public opinion although I don't necessarily care what they think. Everything inside of me wants to put the fox down. Partly for the animal and partly so the hundreds of cars driving by don't have to see this thing freaking out. I stopped and looked at it and then continued driving. Turned around and went back to confirm what I thought I saw and there was a second fox sitting by it. Do you guys think about that kind of stuff at all?if it was me I would check that trap at daybreak every day.

Didn't vote for the husband. Not voting for the wife. #Liars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

In the first place you canít put a fox down in a trap unless itís your own. But I agree with you about checking traps before daylight especially along a busy highway

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 08:11 AM

I seldom trap where my catch is within view of the general public. That includes setting road culverts, in safety zones or near trails on SGLS or SF. You're leaving the door wide open for trap/fur thieves, and increase the likely hood of catching dogs or cats. A fox in a proper set and trap doesn't really suffer, most of the time they settle down and are have seen some that were actually sleeping when I arrived. Laminated and offset jaws do a great job eliminating damage to an animal's leg or paw. Although it ideal to check traps ASAP in the morning, some folks work schedule doesn't allow it. And I have had catches made shortly after setting/ checking traps....the trapper may have already made his check for the day.

Other than releasing one's pet or hunting dog that finds it's way into a trap, it's illegal to tamper with anyone's traps. That includes dispatching their catch. This time of year a lot of furbearers' hides are starting to look bad, do to ticks, lice, and rubbing. Many of those animals are released by trappers. Some guys release all the female fox they catch...if someone dispatches them, that's no longer an option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Although I wanted to I do know better.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 09:44 AM

Though I do not like it either most likely 99% of the people driving will probably never see it. They just are not tuned like you a hunter to have it even register with them. I have driven with many not hunters/outdoor people and they do not even see the deer and other wildlife right next to the road let alone 75yds back.
Dennis Hill and OAWC like this.

Democracy: 2 wolves and a lamb voting on lunch.
Liberty: Well armed lamb contesting the vote.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjjk View Post
Though I do not like it either most likely 99% of the people driving will probably never see it. They just are not tuned like you a hunter to have it even register with them. I have driven with many not hunters/outdoor people and they do not even see the deer and other wildlife right next to the road let alone 75yds back.

My wife claims I'm really good at seeing wildlife half a mile away from the road. But somehow seem to always be shocked by deer standing in the middle of the road because I'm looking in the fields as I drive at dusk. She always has to say something when she's along with there's a deer in the road. Because she won't look out the side window she'll get carsick. Which usually brings on the how did you not see that pay attention speech. But you see a big buck in the back of a field hundreds of yards from the road. Happens a lot spotting too

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 06:34 PM
Part of the Community

I would never set in plain view of a road unless I could check it every day before daylight. And I do that often since I run a line on my way to work which I drive past at 6am.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 07:54 PM

I don't trap ,never got into it, but I like hearing about and reading the posts on here and the pictures also, very interesting . I don' t believe one should trap in plain site ,shouldn't give the anti's any ammunition against hunters and trppers
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 05:20 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chester farmer View Post
Driving to work this morning on a very busy public road I saw a fox in a trap about 75 yards off the road. 300 yards from the nearest woods. While I enjoy hunting and trapping I don't like to see animals suffer anymore than they have to. And I am sensitive to some public opinion although I don't necessarily care what they think. Everything inside of me wants to put the fox down. Partly for the animal and partly so the hundreds of cars driving by don't have to see this thing freaking out. I stopped and looked at it and then continued driving. Turned around and went back to confirm what I thought I saw and there was a second fox sitting by it. Do you guys think about that kind of stuff at all?if it was me I would check that trap at daybreak every day.
why would you say the animals are suffering ? chances are you saw the fox soon after it was caught , that's why it was still fighting the trap . more times than not the majority of trapped animals are sleeping when you walk up on a trap if they are checked quietly .
Curly Maple likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 05:44 AM
The Man

They are not suffering. They are just.... caught and like has been said, fighting the trap. I can tell you from personal experience that when you forget and put your bare hand down to gain a better balance....and it goes into a MB550.....unbearable pain is not the result. It's the total surprise that overcomes you. The surprise is by far the worst part of the experience. In fact pain isn't even on a scale of 1 to 10........a 1. Pride on the other hand takes a terrible turn for the worse. I imagine it does for the fox also.
bearhunting likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page