Reds and Greys: 12 at $10
Coyotes: 7 at $12
Rats: 22 at 2.50
Coon: 2 at $3
Mink (F) 1 at $5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 05:25 PM

When I was a kid in the 60's I got $1.50 for Rats and $2 for coons. I would love to take up trapping again, but it is just to much work for the return on investment.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 05:45 PM

That's about what I'd expect with today's market. I take a different view on fur prices....I don't need to make money, it's a great hobby. When prices were high, they came with more competition and trap/fur thieves. That said, I do kinda miss 8.00 rats and 40.00 coon in the late 70s, early 80s.
casey likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 06:25 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Well, hang in there, maybe it will be better next year and your keeping your skills sharp and keeping your contacts with the land owners your trapping on. I trapped coons for years after the prices went south just to keep my farmers happy. Because way back in the day I had a line with 200 and more traps. I would pay my property taxes and my family's Christmas with the fur check. Those were good days.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying

Last edited by Buckskin Dave; 01-31-2018 at 06:28 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 07:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

I remember the good ole days trapping and night hunting with a 6V battery flashlight for coon's in the 80's. It was fun hunting them at night. Trapping was excited too. Oil or mustard sardine cans is all i used, i did pretty good. I dispatched many in traps and got $30-$40 a piece. I didn't trap fox's but did get some with a shotgun during the day light hours and got $50 for a fox.

I use to collect walnuts an take them home to put up till it was time to boil my traps. Now i just step on them & twist my feet to help cover up some human scent going to my deer stand. Sold all my #1.5 Victor's & northwoods traps to an inlaw early 90's due to price's went down in a hurry and wasn't worth the time for me any more. I do have my brass id tags put up and some rubar stakes i use now in the yard to help support young trees to stand up straight.

I don't see fur price's going up my life time at least. It's been at least 20 years now fur prices way down? $2 for a coon, $5 for a fox? Someone is making out for sure an thats the main reason i gave it up. I am not about to help someone make $ while i go broke.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 08:05 PM
Part of the Community

Was that skinned and streched?

NRA LIFER,HUNTER, SHOOTER, TRAPPER, PTA, NMTA
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

yep
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 08:04 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you saw the posts for the PTA District 7 and District 11 fur sales it's definitely not good this season. All of the national trapping publications were stressing going after coyote. This is obviously geared towards the northcentral US where those coyote pelts are preferred but when they predicted northeastern US coyotes in the $35 range but in reality it's $10 that is a bear fur market.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 08:30 AM

The coyotes found in Pa. are far from being coveted by the fur industry. Their guard hairs are wiry, they donít have good under fur, and the colors are across the boards, relegating them to the trim market. A better option for utilizing eastern coyotes might be tanning them and selling them for wall hangers. You might have to sit on them for a while, but thereís always folks looking for them. Coyotes are a lot of work to catch, skin, and flesh....a ten dollar ( or less ) return on that labor stings.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 09:23 AM
Frequent Contributor

There are buyers out here paying $70 for Coyotes in the round this year but the coyotes out here are real light in color.

When I first saw the title of this post I thought I was going to see a hand caught in a 330 , those prices are far more painful.

You get out of your dog what you put in to your dog!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page