15ft rule for bank dens - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

15ft rule for bank dens

There was a comment on another thread about the 15' rule not applying for bank dens. The regs do say 15' from a beaver dam or house, nothing specific about a den.

Can anyone offer some clarification on this? i did not want to hijack the snare thread.

Last edited by Greyhound; 01-30-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I called the PGC northwest office. They said that a bank den does qualify as a house or dam and that the 15' radius would apply. So, you do have to stay away from a bank den.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 04:56 PM
Part of the Community

I have had it explained to me by a game warden than you can set a bank den with a 330 if its under water. If the bank den has an air hole on land, that is covered with sticks and mud (thats how many bank dens I find are constructed), then you have to move 15ft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 05:34 PM

§ 2361. Unlawful acts concerning taking of furbearers.
(a) General prohibitions.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to:
(1) Take, kill, wound, capture or have in possession, or attempt, aid, abet, assist or conspire to take, kill, wound or capture, any furbearers except during the open furtaking season and in such numbers or by such methods as fixed by the commission or this title.
(2) Have in possession the green pelt, or any part thereof, of any furbearers taken except during the open season and for ten days thereafter without first securing a permit from an officer of the commission.
(3) Stake out or set traps for furbearers prior to the date and hour fixed as the open season for taking such animals.
(4) Stake out, set or tend, or attempt to stake out, set or tend, traps of any kind in an attempt to take, kill or capture any furbearers without first securing, possessing and displaying any licenses or permits required by this title.
(5) Buy or sell, or offer to buy or sell, or export from this Commonwealth any furbearer, or any part thereof, which has been unlawfully taken, possessed, killed, transported, imported, exported or improperly tagged regardless of where the furbearer was taken.
(6) Possess live furbearers taken from the wild without securing a permit from an officer of the commission.
(7) Set traps closer than five feet from any hole or den except in the case of an underwater set.
§ 141.62. Beaver and otter trapping.

(a) General. There shall be one durable identification tag attached to each trap or snare by means of an extension wire of sufficient length so that the name tag is completely above the water or ice level and totally visible for inspection purposes. The name tag shall visibly set forth the owner’s first and last name and legal home address, or a number issued by the Commission.
(b) Unlawful acts. It is unlawful to:
(1) Place, or make use of, materials or products except raw native wood or stone to direct the travel of beaver or otter. Man-made materials may be used only to support traps or snares. (2) Place, check, reset or tend a trap or snare on an established beaver dam or beaver house, or within 15 feet of either a dam or a house. Measurement shall be from directly above the trap or snare, across the water, ice or land to the nearest point of the structure

the way it was explayed to me was if it is a lodge it is surrounded by water,the 15ft rule applies. if it is not surrounded by water,ie 2 0r 3 sides on dry ground it is a bank den and can be set anywhere.

life member pa trappers
distric 1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 05:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooncrazy View Post
§ 2361. Unlawful acts concerning taking of furbearers.
(a) General prohibitions.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to:
(1) Take, kill, wound, capture or have in possession, or attempt, aid, abet, assist or conspire to take, kill, wound or capture, any furbearers except during the open furtaking season and in such numbers or by such methods as fixed by the commission or this title.
(2) Have in possession the green pelt, or any part thereof, of any furbearers taken except during the open season and for ten days thereafter without first securing a permit from an officer of the commission.
(3) Stake out or set traps for furbearers prior to the date and hour fixed as the open season for taking such animals.
(4) Stake out, set or tend, or attempt to stake out, set or tend, traps of any kind in an attempt to take, kill or capture any furbearers without first securing, possessing and displaying any licenses or permits required by this title.
(5) Buy or sell, or offer to buy or sell, or export from this Commonwealth any furbearer, or any part thereof, which has been unlawfully taken, possessed, killed, transported, imported, exported or improperly tagged regardless of where the furbearer was taken.
(6) Possess live furbearers taken from the wild without securing a permit from an officer of the commission.
(7) Set traps closer than five feet from any hole or den except in the case of an underwater set.
§ 141.62. Beaver and otter trapping.

(a) General. There shall be one durable identification tag attached to each trap or snare by means of an extension wire of sufficient length so that the name tag is completely above the water or ice level and totally visible for inspection purposes. The name tag shall visibly set forth the owner’s first and last name and legal home address, or a number issued by the Commission.
(b) Unlawful acts. It is unlawful to:
(1) Place, or make use of, materials or products except raw native wood or stone to direct the travel of beaver or otter. Man-made materials may be used only to support traps or snares. (2) Place, check, reset or tend a trap or snare on an established beaver dam or beaver house, or within 15 feet of either a dam or a house. Measurement shall be from directly above the trap or snare, across the water, ice or land to the nearest point of the structure

the way it was explayed to me was if it is a lodge it is surrounded by water,the 15ft rule applies. if it is not surrounded by water,ie 2 0r 3 sides on dry ground it is a bank den and can be set anywhere.

i have a good relationship with the local wco , told him what you had said earlier .he said wrong !
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 08:11 PM

must be a interperation thing, what I said was from my wco!

life member pa trappers
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 08:37 PM

Beaver Pictures & Facts: Beaver Dens

life member pa trappers
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 08:43 PM
Part of the Community

I was told if beavers pile any sticks,mud, or rocks up on anything, like a dam, lodge, or bank den air hole, then you must be 15 ft away. he said that bank dens that are underwater are fair game and you can set a 330 in it.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 08:44 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
must be a interperation thing, what I said was from my wco!
...and your WCO would be the one you would have to deal with, so it is good you spoke to him. I think how I would defend myself if I went before the magistrate. My opinion is that any layman would say "house" is a structure where the beaver inhabits, rests, seeks shelter, etc.... how could I convince a judge that 2 sides surrounded by land is not a beaver house, but all sides surrounded by water make it a house? That makes me nervous. In my opinion....
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 08:54 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
That article is useful. Thanks. Its annoying that the. PA regulation uses the word "house"... it seems like it would have been clearer to use the words "lodge", or "den"...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page