Bottom Edge Set - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Bottom Edge Set

For those of you that trapped mink this past year, if you used the "Bottom Edge" set, what percentage of your catch was caught in this set?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 06:59 PM
New Arrival

85-90%
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 09:02 PM
Part of the Community

Every time this question is asked, it comes down to the definition of the bottom edge set. IF a body gripper is placed against a vertical edge, I only consider it a bottom edge set if the trap is completely submerged. Less than 25% of my blind sets fall into that category. Of those traps that I categorized as bottom edge, 60% of them produced mink this year. So thats around 15% of my total mink catch this year came from what I consider bottom edge sets.

Many mink were caught in half submerged body grips against a vertical edge, and another pile of mink were caught in dry land body grips against a vertical edge (top edge sets). Then another good producer of mink were the small tributary streams where a body grip was set in the middle of the stream since it was so narrow. And yet more mink were caught in dry trail sets through stream-side vegetation. And a few more mink were caught in pocket sets, although I don't use them much. I didn't do the calculations for these other types of sets mentioned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 08:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I love the bottom edge set and catch a majority of my mink in that set these days. Due to the sheer lack of time I have to trap because of work I probably had only 8 or 10 bodygrips set out this past season and only caught 2 but then I only set 2 different areas with 6 or 7 traps in one spot and 2 or 3 in another. It hard to put up any numbers trapping that way and some may say I'm just wasting my time but I'm just doing it because I love to trap even if I don't really have time to do it. By the way, I did catch a couple this season which isn't an impressive average but I definitely catch more mink every season using the bottom edge set than I did before I used it.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 08:32 PM
Part of the Community

It still completely blows my mind when I catch a mink in what I consider a real bottom edge set. This was the last mink I caught this year, almost 4feet deep below 8-10 inches of ice. I had a small viewing window chipped out that would refreeze with an inch or 2 of new ice every day. I set it in chest waders and used a long handled metal rake to reach the trap out to the point in the bridge wall.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 9.20.43 PM.png (324.5 KB, 18 views)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 08:43 PM

Thatís amazing Trout.....Iíd have gave up once things froze up.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 11:01 PM
Part of the Community

Trout, how did you have that trap stabilized on the bottom? Was it just placed between the brick and the bridge wall?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 09:01 AM
Part of the Community

I was out of stabilizers when I set this, so I use light gauge wire to wire the coil on the spring to the brick. It holds tight until the trap fires. It works in a pinch. I used to do this exclusively before I invested in stabilizers.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 02:17 PM
New Arrival

Now that is cool! Love the mink catch pics. You sure earned that one trout! I use 160's with one spring removed almost exclusively now.. Rarely use a 110 anymore

Last edited by trapski; 01-15-2018 at 02:21 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page