Your best location..... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Your best location.....

I had a location in Armstrong County,that was amazing.It was a field pipe about 8 inches round.The water that ran threw the pipe connected 3 ponds and then dump into a Major stream.The ditch was line with golden rod and grasses,for about 10 yards on each side of it.The ditch ran in a wide open field so this place was the only cover around,for about 600 yards or more.The water was only on avg about 2 foot wide and 10 inches deep at best.I avg a year 8 to 12 mink,plus alot of rats.

What was bad about the hole deal is I drove over that set for years checking K-9 sets.It never dawned on me to set it up for mink/rats.{{I'm not brightest bulb in the pack}}.Then one day in high water I saw a rat run over the field road by that pipe.I did however put 2 and 2 together.See you can teach old dogs new tricks LOL.

Now I just need to find 10 more spots like that and I'll be set....Also what is bad is when I moved I couldn't take it with me....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Your best location.....

when high water hits the rats get easier to trap..just look for those dirt bank tributaries feeding in to the rivers and all the low laying swampy ground that usually dosent hold much water and those places will have a concentration of rats come high water....
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Part of the Community

not tellin you'll steal it LMAO.

i belive i'll go Trapping!
4-Grinners
1-Skunk
1- Gray Fox
1- Coyote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 09:18 PM

A Huge Trash Pile that used to be a Trailer...

A Buddy bought the property and there was a trailer on it that used to belong to the old owner of the property....he was going to fix it up till he got to looking at it closley and decided to trash it...they ripped it apart and put it down over the hill by the old spring house.....

He asked me to come in and rid coon and fox from his property...When I saw that old trailer piled up, I figrued it was good for atleast another skunk to add to my collection to get something made out of....

Surprised me when I caught coon after coon after coon from around it...set 3 traps around it and only had them set for 2 weeks and took 14 coon, was pretty much 1 a night but it came down to a few nights with no coon..

He has wanted me to set it again but then changes his mind seeing it is now a hot spot for him to train his coon hounds at!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 02:37 AM
The Man

My best location[s] are usually on the outside bend of a stream where a dry land den is up on the high side and an underwater 'escape hatch' below. Use an 120 sized body gripping trap wedged tight against the underwater hole using two stout sticks to keep swimming critters from knocking said trap over. If the stream is a good feed/hunt stream for mink you can expect every mink traveling that stream to run the tunnel from top to bottom. You only need one such set per stream. Such a set is good for from 2-4 mink a year plus a few 'rats and turtles if those are present. It is the most deadly water set I know. The stream should have aquatic life because you have got to give the mink a reason to take a icy bath and hunting is a good reason. Remember, never put a trap over the high, dry den opening as it is illegal in Pennsylvania, and even if it were legal would lead to too many 'junk' catches.

I trap mink because I don't know any better

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page