setting CRs? snow? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

setting CRs? snow?

Do you guys wait for snow to set your CRs? Or do you set em without snow and hope your on active trails?

This is my first season...had a few hung for yotes in the big woods up north...no luck...only 1 activity and it got by the CR...no other tracks since Monday night..pulled Friday...

Home now...got 3 dozen ready...well, will be ready on Monday....dipping them in formula 1 tomorrow...

Just not sure if I should go get atleast some hung or wait for snow...which looks like I may be waiting another week or so...

Just not so confident I can locate good trails without snow...I think I could get a decent few set in jagur patches on the trails and such...same with the field row crossings etc....

What do you guys do?? Being my first time, snow will help a ton...if I was expirienced I could likely feel confident with no snow....

Any thoughts? Lot of farm land, nasty brush patches, redbrush patches, creeks, small woodlots etc....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 11:01 PM

Re: setting CRs? snow?

Find what looks like Deer Trails and Set Em!

No need to wait for snow...set every trail you can set and has nothing that the fox or yote can wrap around...find those trails going into brush and greenbriers/raspberry patches/corn fields, fix it up if you have to that there is no entanglement around...
Don't wait for Snow, find any trail you think a fox or yote might be using and set CRs on them!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanx woody...I think I will get atleast half of em out early this week....

Can't catch em if they aren't set....

Just gotta dip everything tomorrow and get it dried...says. a day and its good to go...

I'm doing all my cable stakes, swivels etc too....just to keep em from rusting bad and fast...

I probably won't set and for yotes till I got snow...just because there's not a ton around and although they likely use the same paths as the fox do, snow will help me narrow it down...

There's a healthy fox population...both reds and grays...ideally, I run out of CRs real quick and gotta buy more ...3 dozen is all I
have so far...and 12 of those are gunna be strictly for yotes...

I'm also using crunch proof swivels to go between my cables...seems most use S hooks or quick links...I don't think another swivel will hurt at all so I got em..that's what I did today...attached the swivels to my stakes and prepped them for dipping tomorrow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 02:40 AM

Oddly enough, I am setup around the rim of a pond bank. I wouldn't have thought to set there had I not seen a small sticker bush over the trail with coyote fur balled up on it from multiple passes by it! No tracks, no scat. I studied the scene and put it all together why. THICK cover headed to a water source near a fencegate entry to an orchard. There are a half dozen CR's on every trail in to the pond, 4 of which are on the same bottlenecked trail around it. Same setup where a coyote broke through the B.A.D. the other day after a week waiting. Look for sign, lace it all and wait.

I need to connect with a foothold in a bad way! I've been feelin' good about one set......2 roads intersecting in an orchard where older trees meet younger trees on a hilltop. It's managed to attract and catch an Irish Setter and a Weimaraner in two days! The farmers son was visiting with his dog, and the neighbor apparently walks their dog through the orchard! I found this spot last year in the snow. If anything, this year will help you with next years spots.

Democrats. Making decisions based on emotion since childhood.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 03:31 AM

mauser,
To me it seems your over thinking this to much!?

Just get out there and Set on Trails...

My First year, Took the Course, listened to what Ralph Wagner and Mike Spittle told us in the Class. I then went to a guy I know who sets 100s of CRs each year and talked to him...he told me exactly what Ralph and Mike had told us in the class...

I went and walked my 2 Buddies Farms....set on every deer trail I knew was in there... 1 farm, 250 acres, 17 red fox in 1.5 weeks, other farm, 70 acres, 14 red fox in 3 weeks!

All I set was the Deer trails...

Today was the first I could get out to set my CRs...had a buddy tell me about many coyotes and fox he was seeing on a certain property I could get in on...when I walked in, I started looking for nothing but Deer Trails..found 1 and started setting it where it lead in from the field into the woods...about 200 yards in, I found where someone put a RKD and the fox and coyotes were ripping it up pretty good..I set all the trails in around that thing with in 100 yards of it..found plenty of fox tracks and a few coyote tracks...I happened to walk down about 300 yards below that RKD and found where the fox (tracks) were going from the woods to the field and crossing a creek on a Deer Trail...I set CRs on both sides of the creek and on a little dirt mound that was in the middle of the creek plus right at the fields edge..

Don't Over think it, it is supposed to be easy, just find trails and start setting!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanx guys...I appreciate it a ton!

I just honestly feel like its almost too easy?? That's where I became so hesitant...I know it won't be "easy" but, set cables properly over trails and sit back and wait....

If you knew my area you may be chompin at the bit...every farm has atleast a few acres of brush...and every piece of brush has tunnels from the critters....I am now confident I will have fur before it snows...

I have a bad habit of setting 1 or 2 on a trail and being confident in it...but as I seen, one may miss...or they might be running 3 deep and I only set one...or ones scent or barking etc may draw more in etc....

I may need more CRs and anchors sooner than I thought...we'll see how far 3 dozen take me...

I gotta get em dipped and then hung Monday and Tuesday maybe wed...can't be gone from home long this week...I got a few farms already mapped in my head..

I've been hunting these farms for years...I don't need snow to get a bunch set..likely much more than I have...I have access to a lot of land...and I think we got a lot more fox than anyone realizes...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 06:27 AM

Set as many as you can and just adjust the height according to the snow level. When I was trapping in Alaska we would have tons of snow and I would adjust the height depending on the snow depth.

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page