19 check days left and still no coyote - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

19 check days left and still no coyote

I guess I'm not cut out to be a coyote trapper. Not sure if the pack is still all there or what, but NOTHING is being caught in any of the sets. I saw red fox tracks in the snow going very near 2 sets. There is raw turkey down some holes under a rock at both sets- converted hay sets with both traps still set. Must be a record amount of deer gut piles and lost deer out there this year( and feral cats?). The coyotes have no interest in bait( I have one set that is major baited). The foxes must be spooked out of their minds by the coyotes. Yet just over the other side of the road, the reds are working sets. That has always been an excellent spot for red fox, and it's odd that the farmer hasn't seen any sign of coyotes, since there are live calves, and dozens upon dozens of chickens. Foxes are always bothering the chickens.

I have seen yote tracks in this trail, but it is on another property adjoining, and is owned by a "conglomeration of absentee liberals", so no way I'd get permission. I can't use any sort of CR or snare. I've tried dirthole, flat, walkthrough, hay, and heavy bait sets. Been trying since beginning of nov, and even left sets going during the big deer shotgun season. The bait only came out after the shotgun season and with all the very cold temps. Before it turned cold, I caught a bunch of possums, a skunk, 3 coons, and 2 very brave red foxes. I had the dirthole set worked first night out by a coyote which stepped 1 inch from the pan!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: 19 check days left and still no coyote

If you are seeing a lot of red fox sign there is a good chance the coyote are not there.

If you really want a coyote then look for sign and drop a scent post set in for this time of the year. You will pick one up. Good Luck!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

Why do you say there's only 19 check days left?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Frequent Contributor

Coyotes n fox dont jive. Thats for certain. If theres fox then there is usually no coyotes cause they will kill every fox in the area. They could be yotes just passin through. Good Luck. Keep trying you catch 1.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

They have been there since summer, had a litter, and were still around a couple weeks ago (the people who live there heard them barking to eachother). The last snow and some coyote tracks were seen. I also saw the red fox tracks, but they won't work the sets there. I caught another red today over on the farm across the road ( alive and fine).

One thing I have not found is coyote scat.

19 days refers to MD season.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 10:46 PM
New Arrival

Two of the farms that I have been trapping have Reds,Grays,and Coyote. The Coyotes have been very smart. About only set I can get them to look at is the hay set. I have tried everything I could think of with them. I have have only taken one coyote with a CR but had 3 misses with the hay set. Hang in there it will happen and be well worth the wait.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

I think you need to change your name to "coyotetrapperwoman" then the karma will swing your way LOL
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

Im just going by whats going on in my area.Every time we do catch a stray fox it gets chewed on. And its rare to catch 1 due to the large amounts of coyotes. Hang in there it will happen! I cant understand if ur catching fox why the coyotes wont visit the sets. Thats strange.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

They must be very weird coyotes. I totally expected to have mutilated fox, but now 7 across the road and 2 right where the yotes were running around the most, and not a mark on them from a coyote.

This is the first year that a trapping spot of mine had an active coyote denning situation. 6 years ago or so I had found a fresh dropping when I was setting for fox at a PA farm, and later found old droppings across the road on an adjacent parcel I also set at. In my 2nd season of trapping I had something overnight haul away a big deer neck I had dumped out where the farmer said I could dump out scraps. This neck was from a big buck and weighed at least 20 pounds. Later on a hunter there said he saw a coyote and drew down on it while bowhunting, but the coyote heard or smelled him and was gone POOF before he could take the shot. And yes, these other 2 farms I used heavier traps and double staked everything. There's a 3rd farm too, saw a track, a rather large wild k9 dropping, and had the brother of the guy who gave me permission say he saw a coyote run into the woods there right around that same time. Again, no catches, nothing, none of the many many foxes I caught were ever killed or ripped on. Now I do know of a grey fox that was ripped and half eaten in a trap, and there was coyote sign around and someone shot 1 there the next deer season. But it was someone else's sets ( buddy of mine) and almost the end of the PA season, so I didn't bother trying for the coyote.

The only other localized furbearer I haven't caught is- a weasel! They are like an endangered specie here, worst off than the muskrats.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I walked around the place today and found no coyote sign where I walked. But there is probably still 1 around. Someone is bringing me a roadkill skunk and I will have the glands/skinned animal ( or the whole thing if it stinks too much).

I have a trap and location picked out where I can make a Zag's bank cut set. Dig deep hole, stick skunk in it. Or how about using an old groundhog hole?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page