fleshing and stretching?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

fleshing and stretching??

Would fleshing and stretching hides make any difference if they are going to get sent to a tannery???

I flesh them somewhat..enough to get the salted to dry and ship...but not a great job..figure they shave and trim and flesh on machines anyways....haven't had to pay a fleshing fee yet...

But stretching? Will it make a difference in the finished product??

Reduce shrinkage? Make it look nicer? Make it bigger in the end?? Or no difference?? Or do they get stretched by the tannery??

With fox and yote prices where they are, I may spend the money to have any of my catches tanned....then maybe make somethin or just keep hangin them with the others..lol...who know I may end up with more than I expect and will sale some...

Not planning to learn to put up fur yet...till I get the catching part somewhat down...I can do the skinning...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 01:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: fleshing and stretching??

I've had some big coons over the years (20 pounds or so) that after fleshing were quite big, so they went to the "hat collection", which means they got prepped the usual way for fur, but went on big wire stretchers that I purposely let stretch them on the wide side. They came back tanned on the wide side too, and I could fit my patterns to them just fine.

I'd suggest that you flesh as you normally would if you were to sell to a buyer- and also dry them the same way. You don't need to fuss with "windows" in coon and mink bellies though.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

That's one thing I never really learned....

When stretching fur, are you widening it? Or making it longer??

I know the tanning process typically shrinks the pelts...I lost 5" of lengnth on a yote...coons seemed to shrink. A fair bit...a red didn't seem to shrink much though...

So I guess it would make sense to flesh and stretch them prior to sending them off...

No idea what I wanna make...but I think I rather keep my pelts before I sale em for what they are bringin now....though, if I put em up and send em to the auction I could do alright...

We'll see....I think some pillows would be awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 11:52 PM
New Arrival

you should go to a local fur buyer. any i've talked to would anwser any questions and show you how to flesh and stretch your fur.
join pa trappers assn. they are always ready and willing to teach others about the sport.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 01:11 AM
The Man

Quote:
When stretching fur, are you widening it? Or making it longer??
not necessarily either, you are more or less making it hold a shape............take a look at these fur guidelines........furs go by length, but unless you are really close to making the next size there is no use in over stretching the fur........
NAFA Guidelines

Quote:
With fox and yote prices where they are, I may spend the money to have any of my catches tanned....then maybe make somethin or just keep hangin them with the others..lol.
Ive got a possible bag in the works with a few coon hides I had tanned, and some other leather......

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page