anchoring CR - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

anchoring CR

My question for everyone is how do you anchor your cable restraints. I was getting mine ready for this weekend and realized I wasn't sure how to anchor them. I thought about just using a single 24 in rebar stake going through the end swivel, but i am afraid that won't be enough. Then I thought about adding a cross stake swivel to the end, but wouldn't be able to use it again if i caught anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 06:08 PM

Re: anchoring CR

Buy yourself some cable anchors. Bullet or duck billed. You have to dig them out but a 12 or 16 inch anchor will hold coyotes in good soil.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 06:12 PM
The Man

did you attend the certification course? most of your questions were part of the class.

but to answer. for fox i use a single rebar stake. if its set for fox and yote i use a earth anchor. you could also use a cross stake.

but after a catch you can not reuse a restraint anyway.

NRA,UBP,DU,DELTA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 08:31 PM
Part of the Community

attach you cr to the double stake with a quick link easy on and easy off.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodelDog827
Buy yourself some cable anchors. Bullet or duck billed. You have to dig them out but a 12 or 16 inch anchor will hold coyotes in good soil.
IF you pull straight up on them correctly using your knees, you do not need to dig them out!
A good heavy duty piece of pipe in the loop of the cable stake will help in doing this...I used to carry around a 6 foot long cable stake puller a buddy made for me till I had another guy show me how to pop a peice of heavy duty pipe in the loop and give a good pull straight up and they popped right out...even with my back all messed up, it is not hard on my back and works just as good as the 6 foot long cable stake puller without the need to carry that thing all over the place to pull cable stakes out!

He also showed me that 9 inch cable stakes with CRs ONLY will hold a Coyote and that is all he uses 9 inch cable stakes..

There is no way in this world I'd be lugging around Heavy Rebar when cable stakes are so much lighter and all there needs to be used is 1 cable stake compared to 2 rebar stakes that need crossed to hold coyotes!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 09:39 PM

Good info woody! I am using 15" 1.5" pogo anchors and pulled 2 to move them after set...I got them out like you said...was worried about them holding....but, a. Fox or yote in a CR pulling sideways, I don't think they will budge in good ground....one I hit a soft spot and it came up 6" and found good dirt..could just feel like a void in the ground...

Haven't caught anything yet to test em....but I doubt there's an issue....and I can't compare to carrying rebar around, but the cable stakes and driver are very light and pretty compact....
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 10:13 PM

I use them in my foot holds. I will have to invest in a piece of pipe and start pulling them rather than digging them.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06
Good info woody! I am using 15" 1.5" pogo anchors and pulled 2 to move them after set...I got them out like you said...was worried about them holding....but, a. Fox or yote in a CR pulling sideways, I don't think they will budge in good ground....one I hit a soft spot and it came up 6" and found good dirt..could just feel like a void in the ground...

Haven't caught anything yet to test em....but I doubt there's an issue....and I can't compare to carrying rebar around, but the cable stakes and driver are very light and pretty compact....
You pulled Straight up on them, Right? It takes a little bit of a PULL using your legs but it works and if you think about it, all the videos shown of a horse or tractor pulling on a cable stake, the pulling is down side to side, NOT Straight up! All you have to do is pull Straight up, the right way and they pop right out of the ground, same thing as having a cable stake puller that is 4,5,6 feet long!

You are atleast carrying 1 piece of Rebar with you, I hope??

Take a piece of Rebar and pound out a Pilot Hole, then take your Cable Stake Setting Rod and put the duckbill or bullet end on the cable stake rod and push it down in the Pilot hole then pull up on it to set!

I ONLY Carry 1 piece of Rebar and it is to pound out a Pilot Hole!

It Keeps that cable stake rod in nice condition and makes it last longer!
I messed up 3 till a guy I know showed me that he makes a pilot hole and then pushs the cable stake down that pilot hole with the cable stake rod....no more breaking cable stake rods all up!
I had a buddy weld 2 of my cable stake setting rods with pieces of bolts that fit the duckbills...and I kept breaking the welded bolts off because of hitting rocks, till the other guy showed me the pilot hole with 1 piece of rebar deal!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 03:04 AM

Woody, I've set a total of 4 CRs in my life total....4 traps total...

Very very new to all of this....

I don't carry rebar....I have my pogo stake driver and 15 and 18" pogo cables with 1.5" washers...

Like you said, pulling from the side like a yote will be doing, I don't see them budging....

Pulling straight up they ease right out...atleast the 2 I pulled so far have....took some leg work, but, I was a powerlifter for a while...my legs are pretty strong....

I will have to get me a piece of rebar...goin back too the trap supply place tomorrow I will pick one up....that makes perfect sense...and my driver wond get clogged with frozen dirt and ice...what a pain that is lol...might goto duckbills or something else...but the pogos are cheap and seem effective...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 02:19 PM

Or instead of pounding on rebar in frozen ground, I carry an 18" long 1/2" drill bit and cordless drill. It powers through the frozen ground in 5 seconds. Makes pounding the earth anchor in easier and quicker! Weight is not an issue with the gun and bit!

Democrats. Making decisions based on emotion since childhood.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page