quickest CR yote catch?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

quickest CR yote catch??

Just curious how quick yotes may be caught in CRs??

I got 3 out today at camp...having trouble locating any type of trails to set that are used regularly...a new dusting of snow every night and howling winds fill in tracks...

The 3 I got set are on trails that were ran last night by a yote either twice or ran by multiple yotes..couldn't tell....they are all on old worn trails through a mature hemlock stand....some old tracks in the same paths that look like yote tracks but can't be sure...one of them is close to a urine pile that was freshly used...

Leaving Thursday or Friday....just wondering if I can maybe expect action or if it usually takes longer than a few days? I'm excited to wake up that's all I know!

Yesterday I practiced with it all...sets look nice..supported well..I walked the trails out and didn't stop at the sets and turn around....

Buddy thinks I'm nuts...id LOVE to prove him wrong...just not sure if the yotes will run those tracks again or if they were random...

In the big woods, it seems like its tough to locate regularly used trails?? I avoided deer trails and our normal walking trails...I'm confident if they run that section I got it covered with 3 sets...just not sure what to expect...learning by the day...learned a ton about setting and supporting today! I like a stick and 11ga wire over 9ga wire supports...

Can't wait to set at home...smaller woodlots and I know of many gametrails fox and yotes use more regularly....here I'm kinda lost...all the tracks we ever see seem kinda random...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Re: quickest CR yote catch??

Now I'm a weeeee bit excited! Buddy just went outside and came back in and said he can hear one yippin and barkin! Its either caught or they are atleastout movin and hopefully get caught!

Hopefully I can sleep tonight! The excitement of checking traps alone already has me hooked on trapping...its gunna be like the night before buck season every night...hope that feeling doesn't go away...I love it!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 01:14 PM

Oh, it's an addiction! Now you've got it!

Don't be afraid to set CR's on your footpaths too. Coyotes/fox will follow your trails too, especially in deeper snow. Path of least resistance. Also, put out LOTS of CR's.

If you hear one barking, it's probably caught. Keep us updated!

Please support Hunt of A Lifetime! www.huntofalifetime.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

I was wondering how many guys got out to set them. I have everything ready to go. The high winds and a few other things at home have stoped me. mauser is this ur first year? how many cr's do u have to start? Is there someone else who has been using them on a regular basis who wont mind sharing field tips ? This is my first year using them.

In my area most all the woods have atv trails all through them. Alot of animals walk the trails. Dont want to set them up b.c of them getting ran over by atv's. Coyotes use the trails alot it seems. Finding spots they run that is not an atv trail i guess is best.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 02:14 PM

I have a dozen set right now, with another 20 on standby. I have to wait for muzzleloader season to end to use them on another property I have lined up. The high wind only knocked down 4 of the 12.

Coyotes use trails religiously. The edges of their boundaries see frequent activity. That comes in the form of trails (human or otherwise) that border streams, RR tracks, fences and other land features. You just need to figure out the pack(s) in your area.

From my limited experience, I offer: Set any trail you suspect they are using, bottlenecks increase your chances of a catch. And blend well, but don't overcrowd the trail.

How quick they're caught will depend on frequency of use in that area.

Democrats. Making decisions based on emotion since childhood.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanx for the tips!

I walked out and had tracks in my boot tracks right in the yard!

Got to my first trail..it runs up and down the hill..looks like where they cross the road..fresh tracks in my boot tracks! I went down and it walked within feet of it...then had its tracks on the other side...couldn't tell how it got around it....the other 2 weren't used..will try to get another 1 or 2 out in the same area this afternoon...don't wanna set too many because I'm leaving Friday morning or so....

Looks like there's 2 or 3 running the area...

I got them set all about 10" high with 10-11.5" loops...

When I get home, I got 3 dozen to run...

Its a blast already...my first catch will be priceless....for the price of hides, I may keep everything...can't see myself selling fur for 6-10$...I will have em tanned and hang em on the wall with the others or make somethin one day....
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 05:01 PM

By the way...

Newt Sterling suggests in one of his videos to walk over your cable set. Not around it. He surmises the coyotes will pick up on your scent, and walk around it as well. I've had them stop within 1 foot of the ambush and skirt around it. I think the snow gave up it's position in that it looked like you had to stick your head in a loop to go forward! It didn't blend in.

If you only have til Friday....I'd lace the area with as much as you can to increase your chances! I have 7 in a 50 yard area.

Democrats. Making decisions based on emotion since childhood.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

all good tips keep em coming!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanx banjo man...I did that...I did a ton of reading here and on newts forum....I think one of the CR instructors I head even told us that....but, I couldn't find its tracks....it either went under it or around it...which is possible as I set from the side....which may be wrong?? But thought a CR instructor said that's what he does....

I didn't get any more out...had a buddy get slighlty turned around on a deer push and we just got back to the cabin now....still excited to check the 3 I have out....

I got 2 dozen CRs coming from newt...been over a week...hope to have em when I get home....and will get all or most of the 3 dozen set first chance I get...rain this weekend...I can only set a couple without snow off the top of my head..but its a 10 min drive each way..I ain't drivin out to check a couple sets every morning.....id like an hour or so line ran probably will take 3 days for me to get 36 set for the season....I'm excited about trappin though!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 11:51 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoman
By the way...

Newt Sterling suggests in one of his videos to walk over your cable set. Not around it. He surmises the coyotes will pick up on your scent, and walk around it as well. I've had them stop within 1 foot of the ambush and skirt around it. I think the snow gave up it's position in that it looked like you had to stick your head in a loop to go forward! It didn't blend in.

If you only have til Friday....I'd lace the area with as much as you can to increase your chances! I have 7 in a 50 yard area.
i will be taking newts advice this year, last year in the snow i had to many do a stop and u-turn right at my loops

NRA,UBP,DU,DELTA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page