Trapping in populated area - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Trapping in populated area

I need some help. I have a property that borders a little patch of woods. I have a trail cam set up to check out the deer that pass through. Last week I got a few pics of a coyote and again yesterday there were tracks in the fresh snow. I would love to try to set a couple traps but there are a few dogs (mostly labs, some bigger) in the neighborhood that sometimes like to adventure.

What is the most dog-friendly way of setting a trap to try to get one or more of these coyotes that are running around? I don’t think yotes will go in those hav-a-hart types will they? Is there a foot-friendly trap like a bridger or sleep-creeks that wouldn’t really hurt a dog if it got caught?

Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 02:33 PM

Re: Trapping in populated area

My 1 Farm is in a Populated Area...

I Set it in ever Spot I can that is Legal to set!

There is a Dog Law in PA that Dogs have to be UNDER CONTROL of Their Owners!

The owner of the Farm has 1 Dog and it is with him at all times and he does not venture into the fields with the dog in Hunting and Trapping season...There are a few who rabbit hunt the farm now and then with beagles...the Owner always tells them there are Traps Set in the field and in the wood lot and if 1 of their dogs gets into 1, they are to just release it from the trap and LET the Trap lay where the set is at!

There are neighbors along the Property who have Shepards that they let roam around and do not care about the PA Dog Law...I have YET to catch 1 of them BUT If I ever Do, you better beleive if they make a stink about it, I'll push for them to get a fine and I Pay NO Vet Costs for the Dog seeing they did not have their dog under control per the PA Dog Leash Law and my Traps were set LEGALLY!

I'd set what ever traps you have and want to set for the coyotes and let the Owners of the roaming Labs DEAL With their Lazy ways of not keeping their dogs under control if they get caught in a trap, if you can set Legally on the property!

My Lab has gotten caught in a 1.5 duke that I use for Fox a time or 2 before she learned to stop messing around with the sets when she is with me and a #3 that I had set and was getting ready to dunk into the Wax 1 day in the yard and she had to be nosey...all she ever did was yelp and bit at the traps...she was Fine when I took the trap off her and no broken bones!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 02:35 PM
hdt
Banned

Except for a cable restraint, if you have the training certificate, I would not set any trap for these coyote. You are just asking for trouble. A cable would allow you to let the dogs loose without harm if it is used properly.

Good luck .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 05:04 PM
The Man

The only havahart traps you might have luck with would be the big ones they have at Tractor Supply with a cage in the back for live bait. I just looked through the manual and didn't see anything that would make keeping a chicken in the trap overnight illegal, so long as you fed and watered it and didn't let it be visible from the air. Coyotes are smart and extremely hard to catch in a cage trap, but i do know for a fact that they'll go through fences and into buildings when live chickens are to be found.

Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 05:29 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I totally agree with woody, if u wanna set it then set it if u have permission. Just this morning i had a note in one of my fox sets that i caught a person's choclate lab and wanted to know why my sets weren't marked.He left a phone number so i was abliged to call and give him a crash course on trespassing laws and the PA doglaws. He had no permission to be on the farm nor the neighboring property but thought since its close to a development it made this farm a public park i guess
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW dogline
I totally agree with woody, if u wanna set it then set it if u have permission. Just this morning i had a note in one of my fox sets that i caught a person's choclate lab and wanted to know why my sets weren't marked.He left a phone number so i was abliged to call and give him a crash course on trespassing laws and the PA doglaws. He had no permission to be on the farm nor the neighboring property but thought since its close to a development it made this farm a public park i guess
some people just think it is okay to walk wherever they feel is a "pretty" nature walk.. its the reason dogs get caught in traps and or shot by a dumb hunter thinking it was a coyote.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 10:54 PM
hdt
Banned

If it is likely a dog will be caught, DO NOT set there.
You are asking for trouble. Maybe the 'yotes could be caught somewhere less likely to cause problems.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I appreciate all the input. I realize the dogs are running where they shouldnt, in fact, they've ruined a few of my hunts back there while in a tree waiting for deer. It's very frustrating.

But, I know some of these owners and I really dont want to try to "educate" them on dog laws. I was really hoping there was something out there other than a cage trap, that I could use and still be dog-friendly. Since the dogs only run during daylight hours, and the area is VERY accessible to me, I may try to set a trap at sundown and check it again first thing in the morning.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdt
If it is likely a dog will be caught, DO NOT set there.
You are asking for trouble. Maybe the 'yotes could be caught somewhere less likely to cause problems.
YEP, Don't Set there....just let the Illegal Folks keep on doing what they do illegally and forget about doing what you want that would be Legal!

Yep, if you have 100% permission to be setting on a property and some nit wit who feels the Leash Laws do not pertain to them and let their dogs run and could get caught in a Legally Set Trap, Don't set, just let them folks keep on doing what they are doing and take away from a Legal Activity you could be doing!

Don't set a legal set on State Game Lands for a Dog is likely to get caught...Don't set a Legal set along a Stream for a Dog might wonder by and might likely to get caught, Don't do any more setting for a Dog Might get Caught!

If someone has permission to be trapping on a Property and some Brainless Idiot lets their dog roam with no care of the PA Leash Law, they Deserve to have their dog end up caught in a Trap!
Same goes for Irresponsable Cat Owners!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 12:09 AM
hdt
Banned

There may be a way for you to cover the trap during daylght so there is less of a chance to catch a pet. a lot of extra work for you though.
If you own the property, let them know there will be traps there and go ahead and set. The fact that your can do it legally does not always mean it's the right thing to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page