Cold hands in gauntlets...glove liners?... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Cold hands in gauntlets...glove liners?...

Can anyone give me any advice (other than "Man up you sissy!") to keep my fingers warm in my gauntlets?

When I trap for muskrats I wear a short rubber gauntlet on my left hand and a shoulder gauntlet on my right hand. They have a light fuzz insulation but my hands end up freezing after I reach in the water a couple times.

Do any of you wear a thin glove liner and does it help at all?

Any secrets to keeping my fingers toasty??

-Cooney

My son and I:
Coon: Opossum:
Gray Fox:
Rat: Mink:
Red Fox: Skunk:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 02:33 AM
The Man

Re: Cold hands in gauntlets...glove liners?...

I don't know about keeping your fingers toasty, but I wear knit gloves under my gauntlets. They keep my fingers from freezing.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 02:34 AM
SJA
Regular Visitor

Cabela's fleece-lined neoprene gloves (Waterfowl gauntlets.) $24.99

:-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 03:04 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Cayenne pepper rubbed on your hands will keep them warm inside rubber gloves.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 12:13 PM
New Arrival

I use a "muff" with a pocket inside that has a "body size" hand warmer in it... in between sets I put my hands in it... nice and toasty ;-)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 12:56 PM

DO NOT go for the neoprene gloves as SJA suggests. Great for hunting, but they don't hold up to trapping. Yes, I wear liner gloves inside my gauntlets and yes, they definitely help. Thin polypropylene. I also have two pairs of gauntlets and liner gloves that I switch out, sometimes mid-line. With the liner gloves, sometimes I can get them dry just throwing them on the defroster vent of the truck. Most gauntlets are oversized enough that you could probably use jersey gloves for liners.

Please support Hunt of A Lifetime! www.huntofalifetime.org
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 02:25 PM
SJA
Regular Visitor

BJ, merely a suggestion, each to their own.

:-)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 02:41 PM

No Gloves, Stick your hands in your pockets and let them warm up...I used to do the Rubber Glove deal for water trapping and could never keep my hands warm, so I went to no gloves at alll...after getting my hands wet, I shake them off and shove them in 1 of my pockets and flex my fingers, Warms them right up and seems to me to be much better then trying to deal with the rubber gloves like I did in years past...I also cary a pair of fingerless Wool Gloves, if the hands get to cold, I put those fingerless wool gloves on then into my pockets and flex my fingers, Best thing I've found to do after trying so many ways!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 03:19 PM

SJA, the neoprene hunting gloves just won't hold up for trapping. Rubber gauntlets are the only thing that will hold up to serious trapping. The neoprenes always split at the seams and just don't hold up to wires and cables poking them. Believe me, I've tried. Great for duck hunting where you're not in the water all the time though.

Woody, I go that route in early season, but if I'm doing serious water work or in really cold conditions (like in a few minutes when I head out to set the beaver line) I use gauntlets. My old arthritic hands just don't like sub-freezing temps and barely-above-freezing water anymore.

Please support Hunt of A Lifetime! www.huntofalifetime.org
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jamison
SJA, the neoprene hunting gloves just won't hold up for trapping. Rubber gauntlets are the only thing that will hold up to serious trapping. The neoprenes always split at the seams and just don't hold up to wires and cables poking them. Believe me, I've tried. Great for duck hunting where you're not in the water all the time though.

Woody, I go that route in early season, but if I'm doing serious water work or in really cold conditions (like in a few minutes when I head out to set the beaver line) I use gauntlets. My old arthritic hands just don't like sub-freezing temps and barely-above-freezing water anymore.
Bob, I agree FULLY with what you say about the Neoprene Gloves....

I had a pair of neoprene gloves that I used to use for Waterfowl Hunting....1 year I decided to try them on the trap line....Pushing on Trap Levers and all the other stuff involved with trapping, it didn't take but 1 day for those neoprene gloves to end up with holes in them...PLUS, they did not keep my hands warm before the holes showed up while setting traps like they did while waterfowl hunting...when waterfowl hunting, they were mainly used to put out and pick up decoys in the water and maybe grab a bird or 2 when the action got to heated for 1 dog to keep up with and we would help the dog retrieve downed birds!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page