Fox Questions.. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Fox Questions..

I know I'm a couple weeks early on this but I've been wondering what to expect? About when do the fox start breeding in Northeast PA and how does this affect the trapping?? And here's another unrelated question. Anybody ever trap fox on ice? I'm not talkin about in the middle of a lake. Just an old beaver dam that's iced over (and covered in grey tracks). Plenty of brush in it and I'm sure I could do a hayset or maybe even find a spot for a dirthole but the ice is only 3 inches thick so I don't know about staking into the ice (or maybe thats exactly what I should do...) I was thinking about carrying a big log out there for a drag but worry that it'd spook the fox... I'd trap the banks of the swamp but it's owned by someone else and heavily posted. I really only can trap for these fox in/on the frozen swamp. Any ideas??

It is time to manage avian predators!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Fox Questions..

I have never trapped on ice but was thinking about the best way to do it myself. I think a cable stake in three inches of ice would hold but I am not sure. I am hoping for a little more snow to be able to conceal the trap a little better. I also thought about a drag but the pond is in the middle of a hundred acre pasture not sure it would tangle up on anything. let me know what you try
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 10:40 PM

I don't see why a log wouldn't work. Perhaps you could even put a set at each end. It may take a day or two for them to get used to it, but think their curiosity would get the better of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I'm leaning toward a large log that they couldn't drag very far...Plus there's plenty for it to tangle in where I'm at.. A little snow would help but its just not in the forecast and I probably won't have time to hit this spot once I get working again after the holiday. I'll let ya know what I come up with tomorrow as I WILL be putting a set or two there. Too many tracks not to!!!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 12:11 AM
Regular Visitor

Get permission to have a few railroad plates for flat drags. Or get 1.5 inch long auger bits that electricians use and drill thru the ice. Take a 1/2 inch by 6 inch conduit and drill hole in center. Run 3/32 cable thru and put ferrules or nut on end. Take bar push conduit thru hole and when below ice the conduit will turn flat and catch under the ice. Maybe put a hay set on the ice also.Keep traps from freezing and to help cover them.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Put two haysets on the ice this morning. punched a hole thru with rebar, cabled the trap to a HARD maple stick about 16 inches long and slipped it under the ice. worked great. Thanks for the idea. I prob could've used stakes since they are gonna be slippin and slidin on the ice anyhow but your idea is def the way to go. Now the waiting...

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 03:16 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Good thinking outside the box hitting them on the ice with hay... Youll be glad you did. And yes I have trapped fox on ice

Pro-squeezing pro staffer

wannabe fox trapper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page