Hair falling out???? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Hair falling out????

Caught a possum in the morning and skinned warm around 9 or 10am. left it sit all day and fleshed around 7 30 pm. Finished fleshing and notice balls of hair falling out. So i flipped the pelt fur out and noticed basically all the hair on the neck area had completely fallen out. what causes this???

The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 12:54 AM

Re: Hair falling out????

Fleshing...if you push too hard it happens. There is a knack to it and I am not very good at it either.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 01:27 AM

Possum are tricky. Their leather is thin, and as Coonduke stated, it takes a light touch. Many times you'll end up with hair pulling through, ending up with hair on your leather side. Or in your case ,you'll cut the base of the hairs off, resulting in a lot of slipping fur. They're good skins to practice with, as you're not out much if you mess up. I have always put them up, as I don't like to see an animal wasted. Sent a bunch out to Moyles to get tanned , make nice trim. Used it on this hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

issue is if i cut the hair follicles like you say i feel like id have some physical evidence of this. but after i finished i was quite happy with the leather. nice and white with no hair pulling through much like alot of hides ive done this season with no problems. does that still sound typical of cutting the follicles?

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 02:15 AM

Knowing how thin their leather is, and without any other explanation,( exposure to heat? ), I'll stick with the fleshing knife being the culprit. Can't say I ever had fur slip, but I've had some that, when done, had a bunch of hair coming though the flesh side. Only other explanation would be late winter rubbing, doubt that it would result in major hair loss after dispatch. Keep on skinning and fleshing them, possums are definitely under appreciated!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 11:02 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

They do require a light touch with the fleshing knife, try putting an old towel between the board and the fur side when fleshing, it helps some. The area on top of the neck and the underside yellow area of the neck on the males are the hardest, and even with care you get some hair on the board. early November opossums always seemed the hardest to me to flesh without losing hair
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

it was just weird cause the neck went BALD lol not just a lil on the board. and there was no hair pulling through the leather side at all. (i used to have that alot) As for heat i dont think it got above 38 or so the entire day. it was a big male and i did get the idea that the fat wasnt pushing very easily so its not a stretch to say i tried to put the power to it to get it off. I just thought there would be some indication from the leather side that something was wrong before just mass shedding.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 12:26 PM

If when using a dull fleshing knife you go over and over a spot it will heat up and cause it.Possums allso just do that sometimes so if I get one that has alot of yellow on the neck I just start below that and it allways seems to dry up fine.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 04:47 PM
The Man

I flesh them just like a rat. Cut off any major globs and red meat. I don't hammer them down with the knife, or it always exposes the hair follicle. I have had a few 10 cent possums at NAFA before I realized to not flesh them down like a coon, etc.

Living the life one day at a time.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

i wish i could get a 10 cent possum XD anymore they just throw mine out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page