dawg gone no good for nuttin stinkin wheelers - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

dawg gone no good for nuttin stinkin wheelers

So i hang out 7 cables over a 4 acre wood grown up field area, 3 or so is field, im so tired of straightening wires and rehanging them. There is 4-5 differnt 100 yrd loops through this field litterally nothing special to see. Every three days i have to rehang them, i tried to pattern the atvs and set the trails they didnt ride, well i guess nothing is sacred. Anyone else have this pronlem? This is the same area a few years ago one of my cable ripped the left ski off a snow machine. I thought they would have learned.

Greed leads to stupidity, and stupidy leads to complete and total failure. ~G. Bish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 12:36 AM
The Man

Re: dawg gone no good for nuttin stinkin wheelers

I had the same thing happen last year with a sled. Private property and they had no business being there. Not sure what it ripped off, but you could see something hitting the brush after the cable.

Living the life one day at a time.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 12:39 AM

Just gotta learn to share the land! One farm I restraint the owner allows a guy I know to run his beagle, I tell him where my restraints(and the occasional foothold) are and he thanks me and tries to keep his beautiful pup away from my sets. I get the the occasional "I found one of your sets" from him and I usually ask "is your pup ok?" and he usually says "dog is fine, I'm the one that went face first into the ground!" Lol. We laugh about it and he tells me to catch more fox so his dog can run more bunnies! I really can't complain

16/17 deer season:

Wet butt so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 12:43 AM
The Man

It's a little different than the situation I referred to. The sleds had no business being there. I have no problem with people that are allowed to use the land messing up my sets.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 12:53 AM

Ahhh, my mistake. Talk to the property owner, worse he can say is "oh well"!

16/17 deer season:

Wet butt so far
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 02:13 AM
Regular Visitor

Yes I have had the same problem. I was walking a good ways up into the mountain in cat season hauling traps and equipment in my pack basket busting my rear every day checking and maintaining traps trying to hook a piece of steel to a cat. I was walking because it is game lands. I saw signs of the atv's had run up the game lands in the past but it didn't look like they had done it lately. I think they didn't want to do it in deer season, because they knew it was illegal to do so. They waited and did it in cat season running over my sets. I think they even tried to steal one but couldn't get the cable stake out of the ground. Both frustrated and disappointed I just reset and tried to figure out what house these guys came from convinced it was a local. Never figured it out but I hate it. If they can ride up why can't I? was even thinking of setting a trap for them. Piece of wood blended in with some nails to flatten the tires and slow them down then conceal a camera to identify the law breakers. I kind of wish I would have because they never learned. Even if they did get caught most likely just a warning or small fine.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 02:23 AM
Regular Visitor

I did end up getting a cat so kind of forgot about it till I read this. These guys have a trail formed going around the gate. It was frustrating to put out that kind of effort though just to find my sets run over. I think they should have the atv's confiscated and fined heavily. If kids then fine the parents and take the atv's.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 05:00 AM

If I remember correctly , the PGC did recently increase fines for ATVs on game lands . If you can ID the trespassers with a game camera , I'm sure the PGC would appreciate it , but DO NOT set a booby trap . You would be in more trouble than the ATVers if caught doing so .
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 11:31 AM
Regular Visitor

Yes 4x4dad. Sad but I have to agree. I would probably get in more trouble. This is one of the main reasons I didn't react to this, plus it was just more trouble then it was worth. I was too tired from working full time and hiking up the mountain checking traps after running a mink line prior to cat season. I just wish people would follow the rules / laws. I am not saying I never did anything wrong but this is way out of line.

I view hunting / trapping as a sport. I work hard at it like many others. I like to think I get decent results working within the rules/regs. I just want a level playing field. Its kind of like any other sport such as football for instance. If one or two teams get to bend and break the rules it isn't much fun any more.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 04:14 PM
The Man

Not to mention if s lawful hunter or trappers stepped on you nails.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page