can someone tell me what the deal is? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

can someone tell me what the deal is?

Coyotes must really hate me. Or this small pack has more wolf DNA than usual. STILL cannot catch 1, not even one of the pups which I'd assume to not be as savy as an adult.

I've been told so many times that they are about as easy to catch as a red fox, just set the trap back a few more inches. I'm told they respond to fox gland and red fox pee. I've seen pics on here of some caught in hay sets.

The only thing I can think of is that the traps are not all full dyed and waxed, and despite the fact I am sure old farm metal things are rusting away in this place, they smell the rust starting on the traps and differentiate somehow.

I also am using bait (gobs of deer scraps) and so far no takers- I thought coyotes are always hungry. Heck there are feral cats there and they aren't being eaten. These coyotes don't seem to have a problem with people being around, as they now and then are barking behind the guy's house.

Ok, I found some tracks in a well used trail near some of my sets. Problem is deer will take this path too. Then the rusting factor. I know blind sets require fully dyed and waxed and NO unnatural or lure/bait scents having gotten on them. There is moisture there too= freezing.

This is really making me feel stupid, and to compound things, the red foxes there are super shy and also not working the sets. I could go across the road to another farm and the reds there are as stupid as always. The coyotes do not seem to go over there though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Part of the Community

Re: can someone tell me what the deal is?

I have the same problem. i tried everything. I guess we'll have to figure it out on our own
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:09 PM
SJA
Regular Visitor

FTW, I hope you don't take offense by this, but I'd like to make a suggestion that helped me greatly. Get Mark June's Coyote Trapping 1 & 2 DVD's. Watch and LISTEN to his instructions and explanations. Watch them several times over, you'll pick up something you may have missed each time.

Hope this helps,

SJA :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:22 PM

I've been told so many times that they are about as easy to catch as a red fox, just set the trap back a few more inches.

who ever told you this has not caught many yots it is the farthest from the truth

Skin that one Pilgrim and I'll get you another

www.prosqueezings.com / Morgan lures
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think it was MJ that said being a great fox trapper won't even make you a mediocre coyote trapper. They are NOT a big fox. You usually get one chance at one step if they decide to come check your set out.
I've had lots of sets that showed red fox fiddle fartin' around a set in the snow and you wonder how in the world they stepped everywhere and didn't get caught.
I've never seen that with coyotes. It's always as if they just walked right over the set, marked it, and went on their way. And once in a while one takes a wrong step.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

Still plenty of food, Trap or pattern shy. Time for a change up, a curiosity type set, post set, or a blind trail set.

Home of the J Hook tool& Retrievable Cable Stake.
John 3:16, PTA Life 131N, NTA, OSTA, S.A. CSM
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have till jan 19. I already tried dirthole( fox gland), hay, flat, and bait sets. Lures used- aged fox butt gland, Caven's fox gland, violater 7, cachottier, and otter lure. The dirthole set had been worked first night, but the stinking thing's paw was 1" left of the pan.

I haven't tried coyote urine, Lennon's coyote mating season blend, a urine only post set, or blind set. As stated already, the trail I KNOW they use is springy ground ( freeze problems) and has deer use it, which means deer flipping traps off would be an issue. Springhole set- requires drag or grapple, not sure I'd want to be trying to find a perfectly blending in coyote without snow. Plus the springs may still get the frost ice at night- it gets cold down in that hollow- often 10 degrees less than where my house is. Some raccoon would probably get in it anyway.

I may try one of Zag's cut bank sets, but what to use in the hole ( if I can dig a big and deep enough hole with the rocks we have). I will be getting some wild turkey parts tomarrow, you think using that as a bait, feathers and all, may get them?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 06:03 AM

Clint Locklears book "Eastern Wolfer" is <u>GREAT</u>! He gets pert'near irate when he hears someone compare coyotes to foxes.

I'm still closing the gap on my inexperience but have bought Mark June and Locklears books and compared to what the coyote trappers like "YotkillerBill" "Jayden" "Number 17" and now "Furdog" have to say. Their stuff is pretty much in line with the high kill wolfers philosophy. (I hold you fellers in high regard).

Locklear and Freeborough say they prefer to walk-through a set. Simple, Well blended, or a friggin' mess (as I've heard "Jayden" say here as well). After reading both authors books, it became clearer than air that coyote sets are not fox sets. I for one have changed my approach and will see what unfolds.

Democrats. Making decisions based on emotion since childhood.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Frequent Contributor

I think my biggest plus this year is placing a rock or small stick in line with the hole or bone right over the edge of the free jaw. Make em step over or around to work the set. With the temps this cold you have to have a loud lure to get there attention and something good in the ground to finish them.The blonde female I caught last week trotted 25yrds. past and hit the scent and turned around came around the line fence and I got her at a flat set with an old bone. Lure up high on a weed and down rebar hole under bone. My lures and bait I used before deer season didn't get any attention now. Study at the tracks let them tell you where to make your sets and trap placement. I've had better luck making set cross wind and favoring the trap on the down wind side.From tracks this year I've learned also if there is an up hill side to your hole set even slight they'll step on that side to see in the hole better. My farms are overrun with coyotes this year for some reason giving me more shots at them that helps, for the money I'd rather be catching reds.

16/17 Goal-Totals
reds-20-10
grey-2-1
yotes-5-2
coon-12-9
bobcat-1
fisher-1-1
Otter-1
Beaver 3
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nothing today, but I remade the dirthole, except used dried grasses for covering, and I remade this other set nearby into a walkthrough flat set, with lure on one side and coyote urine on the other. The 2 haysets I put some violater 7 under the hay and coyote urine- with red fox urine over top, the 2nd hay set I freshened with just red fox urine. The dirthole is red fox gland and red fox pee.

I probably overdid it, but I thought maybe tossing the "fool" into it would grab the trickster. If there is something supernatural, I'll catch 5 skunks, get a red that gets chewed up, or catch the mangiest ugliest coyote ever.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page