earth anchors? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

earth anchors?

After losing my first coyote years ago to an undersized stake pullout, I rigged all my k9 sets with butterfly swivels and two 24"Sections of rerod. This year i purchased super stake ends and 500' of 3/32" cables ive been putting together 18" cable stakes armed with super stakes.
Questions are as follows....
Does anyone use this particular setup? If so what successes or defeats have you had?
How about other anchors? I looked at the berkshire heavy duty stake ends, was told them and the standard duty bend over when heaved out, how easy are they to straighten back out? Ive been told that the wolf fanged anchors has a pee poor driver system.

The past few days ive been scouting to put out some cables, i was going to go with the new anchoring method.

Greed leads to stupidity, and stupidy leads to complete and total failure. ~G. Bish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 01:28 AM
The Man

Re: earth anchors?

I run 100% Berkshire heavy duty. They typically do not bend over. I usually break my cable before they will fold. If you don't keep a decent point on your driver with them, they will straighten the end though. I always drive a 5/8" pilot hole for them. I usually only run them 10-12" deep and give them a real good pull to make sure they don't pull out. I have never had one get pulled by an animal. They held an 85-90lb bear before.

Living the life one day at a time.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 01:42 AM
Frequent Contributor

I use the HD Berkshire's also. Have for a lot of years. Only time I make a pilot hole is when the ground is frozen. And I remove mine in the spring. 12" of cable is plenty.

16/17 Goal-Totals
reds-20-10
grey-2-1
yotes-5-2
coon-12-9
bobcat-1
fisher-1-1
Otter-1
Beaver 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 03:03 AM

I use the Fox Hollow Superstakes and really like them. I have both cable and chain attached. I've tried using the Berks but had issues with them bending and the tips breaking/bending when trying to drive them into hard ground.

Never Misses
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 04:51 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Fox Hollow stakes are top notch.
I wouldn't use anything less than 1/8" cable for stakes if you plan on trapping late in the season with frozen ground.
You will snap 3/32" very easily with a puller.

I did it one season when I first went to stake ends. Landed on my butt one too many times from broken cables.
Super Stakes deserves to have at least a quality #2 machine chain attached to them. #3 is even better.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 09:54 AM
New Arrival

What beagler said,I've also tried using the Berks but had issues with them bending/breaking. I use the wolf fang anchors on 1/8 in cable. They are very heavy duty and i haven't had any issues with the driver
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 09:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I switched from Berkshire to wolf fangs this year and will never go back! I was sick of my driver hitting a rock and popping out of the end of the Berkshires or bending the point flat. The wolf fangs have been great for me so far.

A haiku is just like a normal American poem, except it doesnt rhyme and is totally stupid.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 10:32 AM
Part of the Community

Wolf Fangs!!!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 11:11 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have some super stakes with 18" of cable I tried this year. Wasn't pleased myself. First off 18" is quite a ways to go without getting in rock. So when it hits rock you got the cable sticking up in trap bed, real pain. Probly no issue with CR's. The driver I got at convention lasted about 5 times and bent and broke. And I snapped 2 cables pulling out of 5.
Needless to say I'm back to double staking. I'd try chain stakes if I went back to earth anchors, but probly about the same weight as double rebar.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 12:16 PM

Berkshires for me.i run chain on top of the cable so there is no tail sticking up if I can't drive it deep enough.this is a solt ground Berkshire,have went to all hd ones now. I got too many rocks for superstakes or wolf fangs.

life member pa trappers
distric 1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in