Bobcat help please - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Bobcat help please

Hi guys i'm new to the forum but can already see it will be one of my favorites. I bought my bobcat tag like most other people this year and i'm getting them real close but not getting them. i have 6 mb 550's out i made one set on the edge of a thick grass swamp that is froze over on sunday based on tracks i found coming through a culvert 60 yards away. i made a cubby out of tall grass and used mark junes silent stalker cat gland call lure and widowmaker bait then squirted some bobcat urine on tufts of grass nearby. yesterday morning i found fresh tracks coming in and checking the urine and walking right up to the cubby and a footprint right in front of the stick in front of my trap like it just stuck it's nose in but didn't go further. So i placed another cubby 25 feet away and used the urine, widowmaker, and mark junes canine candy. this morning there were fresh tracks again checking out both sets and circling around behind the second set but no digging or anything else trying to get to the bait. i am almost wondering if it's because i didn't make my cubby big enough or if i should try a walk through set instead. The tracks from this morning were very large and should be a big cat. Any tips or advise would be helpful i really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 12:28 PM
The Man

Re: Bobcat help please

Welcome to HuntingPa.

I'm sure one of the cat trappers will be able to help you.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Part of the Community

Give it time. It sounds like they are close and you will connect.
Cat rubberneck alot and might not get extremely close to the bait. My traps were 2 ft. or more from the bait which is in the back of the cubbie. Fence them off good.
Its early in the season... he'll make a mistake and you will catch him. Sometimes it might take a week or 2 or 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Frequent Contributor

id be throwin some blindsets in front of them cubbys......

Dont complain........Hunt harder!!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 08:54 PM

give him something to see put some cotton in the back of the cubby or fur

Skin that one Pilgrim and I'll get you another

www.prosqueezings.com / Morgan lures
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Cubbies may work for cats but I've never set one. I'll take a big ol' blown out dirthole over a cubby any day. With it being as cold as it's been you shouldn't have to worry about too many grinners and skunks running about, and there's nothing shameful about picking up a fox or coyote in a cat set. I wouldn't limit yourself by setting cubbies. Cats aren't nearly as fussy as canines about working a set, but that doesn't mean you won't run across a fussy cat.
Cats don't like to back out of anything. They prefer to walk through, or at least be able to turn around and walk out, so don't crowd them down too tight.
If I were going to make a cat specific set tomorrow it would be a big blown out dirthole with an exposed pan (to keep those rotten canines away), and I'd have a burnt log rub set with a good cat gland just a few feet away.
Got back to backs on the rub set on day 1 and 2 so that's my new favorite set!

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by number17
I'll take a big ol' blown out dirthole over a cubby any day.
Cats don't like to back out of anything. They prefer to walk through, or at least be able to turn around and walk out, so don't crowd them down too tight.
x2
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Banned

i thank you for the advice i'm thinking of placing some blind sets around the cubbies especially where i have been using the urine because i can see the tracks where they come up to investigate it. I do have some big dirt sets out within 150-200 yards but i haven't even seen fresh tracks around them yet i used wool in the cubby sets. maybe i'll have to take out the call and kill a crow for some feathers and bait. i have more time to critique my sets tomorrow and hope for the best. Wish me luck!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Banned

What is a burnt log rub set? I have read about them and i have a good cat gland lure but i don't know how to make them. Any description would be appreciated. Thanks again guys for all of your input THANK YOU!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 12:34 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Get yourself a 2" log. Throw it in a fire to char it. Knock a small hole in the ground, insert log so it sticks up about 9" and smear some stinky stuff on it. Bed trap about 9" out from log.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page