FYI - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

FYI

Feel like I need to clear the air as far as replies I made on the 50# coyote post. I stated not all true comments in the heat of my anger. Anger from comments towards a very good friend and mentor of mine Jerry Johnson the owner off Johnson's furs of Enola. I stated that he asks for no money up front when you would drop off fur to be sent out to be tanned, in case the tannery would lose or damage the hide. This statement is very misleading and false. After reading that you would think you would not pay at all if it would be damaged. Fact is you would have to pay regardless the outcome because Jerry being the middle man has to pay the tannery regardless the outcome. The tannery he deals with takes no responsibility to the outcome of the hide. Now if it is lost I would think there would be no charge but that is what I think, I did not verify that scenario.
He told me he has started to ask for payment up front on pieces that may look to him at a quick glance that may have a poor outcome in the tanning process. He has told people and showed the reason why this will happen but most are so wrapped up in there piece that they have it tanned and when it comes back damaged they say to him, that could not have been theirs, then Jerry is stuck with it with money out of his pocket. So like I stated above, he started asking for payment before shipping out and a quick lesson why.

I did ask Jerry about Moyles, he said they do a really nice job. Jerry deals with a tannery in New York and has done so since the 1970's. He started telling me a little history of that. That a whole city block in Brooklyn was all used for raw fur at one time.

By the way Jerry is oblivious to internet chatter so the conversation about this topic with him and his replies to me are whole hearted.

Thanks for reading, I feel better about the topic.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 11:47 PM

Re: FYI

I was at Jerry's one time in the middle of the summer and some fancy car pulled in. Out popped a guy with a cooler. In the cooler was the worst looking summer shot coyote you could imagine, barely any fur. It was the guys first coyote ever as he had just got into hunting. No way that thing turned out decent
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 11:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

Jerry will be stopping by the house tomorrow to consider making an offer on our WY yotes. I have only known Jerry for a few years but already have as much respect for him as anyone in the industry. I'd be happy to pay him as a middle man because I have confidence the job will be done right.

Charter member of the Bill Morgan fan club.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 12:28 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Sounds exactly like Rodgers in honey brook, guessing he uses the same tannery in NY. Ive seen him take in pelts and put his orange tag through the eye and gives the customer the number and tells them 'this is your pelt, if it comes through better than it started, its yours...if it comes back in 3 pieces with no hair its still yours.'

Downside to being a small business man is what I like to say is the walmart syndrom. Or any large chain retailer for that matter. Places where customers can open a product, use it, break it, then return it for a full refund and they just toss it and call it shrinkage. Small guy provides a service and customer is unhappy and expects them to eat the product in the same manner. When your talking a company that does as much revenue in a day as small guy does in 6 months or a year, its not so easy to swallow. Myself in my business And these small fur businesses Im sure also do what they can to please the customer but theres only so far you can bend when its your main income and livelihood!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 01:01 AM

Curious about the Brooklyn tannery. Twenty years ago I dealt with a tannery there. Guy's name was Leo Lewin ? He was hard to understand on the phone, had a strong accent. He did nice work, cheap too.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 05:53 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Tubari
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 10:19 PM
Frequent Contributor

Jerry is one outstanding guy, he will do just about anything for anyone
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperspaz
Jerry is one outstanding guy,

He is that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page