Very frustrated, first time trapper... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Very frustrated, first time trapper...

I'm new to this forum and new to trapping this year. To say the least I am very frustrated. Have read countless books and articles on trapping, but nothing surpasses experience. Have snow on the ground here and have good fox and coyote sign. Set multiple hay sets this past weekend and it seems as though the animals walk right past my sets. Putting fox urine and some lure in the hay on a piece of wool. Early season I was setting dirt hols and they kept getting ruined by coons and house cats. Everyday I check my traps my spirits sink a little lower. I have to be doing something seriously wrong. Can I get some help please? Any advice will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 02:10 PM

Re: Very frustrated, first time trapper...

scent control maybe? try something other than hay sets... try new lures... if you keeo setting the same sets the same way....
your gonna get the same results. mix it up. they should be hungry at this stage in the game... try food lures instead of urine/gland IMO i always use food lures in dirtholes never got into the hay sets but they most deffinatly work when used correctly... try fresh hay maybe?? guys will help ya out in here.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Im in the same boat as you YodelDog. Been beating myself up the last couple weeks. I've been keeping a positive attitude by remembering I'm a newbie. I had some good luck till the snow started flying. I havent even been seeing any tracks in areas i know sooner or later are going to be used heavily. I was wondering with the amount of gut piles since the close of deer season if they are moving around as much as they will when that food supply is gone

WHEN HUNTING THE LOWS ARE LOW AND THE HIGHS JUST AREN'T HIGH ENOUGH : LISIZNIE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Part of the Community

I trapped for the first time last year, and posted a very similar post to your's on another forum. The answer I got was "PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE" ....and they were correct.
I have coyotes around and figured trapped one would be a slam dunk...I still haven't got one.
But after about 6 weeks of trapping I had 4 red fox, 8 coon, a few grinners and skunks. I also had some misses, traps dug up, flipped over, and ignored.
The fox came on dirt hole sets and hay stack sets.
I think scent control is a big one, wear rubber boots and rubber gloves. Make sure there is ABSOLUTELY NO SCENT on your traps as well, coons will dig them up for sure. Don't be afraid to set several traps in an area with some good sign, and if you lose confidence in one area, move your traps. Give them at least a week at each location. I had some sets that I had alot of confidence in when I set them, but they got absolutely no attention.
Post some pictures of your sets, guys on here can help critique them. It's a learning process like anything else, after 6 weeks last year I really felt like I learned alot.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

I have the rubber boots rubber gloves and even wear my scent lok when setting traps. Patience is very hard for me at times. I just want so badly to see results.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have been trapping for years, over 30 years. I have found that it takes me a week or more for a coyote to start to get interested. Fox almost the same and I trying to be clean as I csn. Stay away from your set, glass them if you can. PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE"

TRAP TORCH
Life Member PA Trappers

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Frequent Contributor

This summer consider attending some of the local trapper conventions -- they always offer free seminars and demonstrations.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

I cant always glass my sets. How close is too close to get. A couple I have to get within 20 yards. Artsmag I attended to PTA convention this summer at Washington County. Found it very interesting. That is the biggest reason I started trapping. The seminars kept me on the edge of my seat. Am greatly looking forward to this years convention.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 03:05 PM

PATIENCE" grasshopper it will happen the key with the hay set is you have to be dead on every bud has a low around this time of year then again it could be going on early but you cant tell / but when the snow is on the ground we find out we are not as good as we fig we were

Skin that one Pilgrim and I'll get you another

www.prosqueezings.com / Morgan lures
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

Did you watch any of the Youtube videos on trapping? I've seen some good ones there - better than reading a book I think.

What about spraying down your set with scent elimination like used for deer hunting?

You are always going to get coons, possums and skunks - I don't know how to avoid that - it does not necessarily mean you are doing something wrong.

One thing I did think of - how are your traps treated?

I've been told that rust is a killer for canines - that they can smell the oxidation - so its necessary to have clean traps, waxed or coated with speed dip.

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page