2 coil vs. 4 coil traps - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

2 coil vs. 4 coil traps

Thinking of getting a dozen of new Bridgers #3 dogless , thoughts on 2 or 4 coil ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 12:19 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: 2 coil vs. 4 coil traps

My Bridger #2's are 4 coiled and fully modified and I like them. If you get the 4 coiled and don't want them on until freezing conditions you can take them off easily.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 12:24 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I don't use bridgers, but here's my thought on 2 vs 4. I prefer the power of a 4 coil trap to bust out of crusted over ground and to give it a little more speed when not frozen. Now, It won't break out of a COMPLETELY frozen set. But it will break through a partial freeze. I haven't noticed any fur damage but all mine are cast jaws and/or offset. The holding power is also better if you latch onto a big yote. I've caught many foxes in 4 coiled yote sets and didn't have major leg damage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 12:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

We own a lot of both, four and two coiled K9 traps. I would never four coil our Bridger 3s without laminating them. Just too much force hitting the leg of a grey or someone's house cat. We have run four coiled laminated Duke 4s for a lot of years now with very little damage to anything we've ever caught.

Charter member of the Bill Morgan fan club.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 01:50 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

i run nothing but 4 coil, but i'm up here in Potter County too, so needing to bust thru crusted over ground is pretty much the normal almost all of trapping season. yes, they snap hard- they're supposed to, but i think more leg damage is due to not having enough swivel action moreso than 2 vs 4 coil. i picked up a red yesterday with a nice high ankle snap and it had zero leg damage. i do use offset jaws, but again, i think that swivel action, or lack thereof, does more damage that coils or jaw type.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 01:53 PM
The Man

I bought a couple used Duke #4's - 4 coil that measure a tad more than 6 1/2 inches.

Never used them, but the price was right..
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 03:41 PM

Unless you're wanting the for beaver, I'd go 4 coiled. New trap springs lose a bit of tension every season, four coiled are always gonna bust up though whatever you plant them in. If they're for canines, I'd go with the offset jaws.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 04:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

I guess I'm in the minority, I like 2 coiled traps
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 02:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

Been some years but I like the lighter traps. If I was trying to catch a smart coon I used 1# jumps. Small traps sure are not going to cut through any crust but sure were able to set off light. I use to spend hours heating not boiling traps, I get a kick out of every time I hear of boiling traps. I have to say the 1 1/2 jump, 1 1/2 coil were the bests for me. Took years to learn to set in right places and got to the point I never had too many misses. Got a loot of coons and foxes in crazy places. Red in swamps, and coons in muskrat bank sets. Sure funny seeing a x-large coon in a little 1# long spring.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for the input guys! Just trying to make some adjustments, I lost a big coyote the other day . He pulled out of a MB 550 4 coil and lost a bobcat that pulled out of a Bridger 1.5 4 coil.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page