Mink Sets - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Mink Sets

Put out 6 mink sets today on a Buddy's Farm, where he supposed to have seen a mess of mink roaming around.

Skube from on here tug along with me and made a few of the sets...

He is getting back into trapping and wanted to just tag along with someone and see things again and see different sets...

I tried my best to explain what all I could explain to him....Think outside the box on lures, baits and places to sets meaning try something new that someone else is not using or has never used before, Practice K.I.S.S when setting, showed him a few trails to look for to set CRs, how to set 160 Conibers and explained Bucket sets to him and how to pick something up that is laying in the area to use as a bait holder and will catch a mink or coons eye and possiably work a set(Skube, Sorry Bud, I forgot to explain that little Candle holder I picked up off the Bank and Why I placed the bait in it after digging a hole and set it in the hole and bed the trap infront of it, it was to catch the eye of either a mink or Coon that is coming thru there and possiably make them interested in working a set, You can also use Bones or skulls from critters found in the woods to do the same thing) and other things I can not think of right now..we even talked of non-trapping things!

Skube is 1 of those guys that is pretty much an All around Guy and is a Fellow Purry Countain and WELCOME Anytime he wishs in the Future to tag along with me!

Hopefully tomorrow brings a few nice mink in the sets he made so I can take some pics and post on here for him to see he Done Good and if 1 of his sets does connect, I'll say it here, he can have it for what he would like to do with it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 01:50 AM

Re: Mink Sets

Thanks Woody, I learned alot today and had a good time.

NOTE TO VEGETARIANS: My food poops on your food! Enjoy your salad!!!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 02:03 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Skube's 1 set he made connected Yesturday Morning....

Sorry to say he will not be getting what was in the Trap!

I knew a little area of the creek that had some junk in around it, wanted to make a set back in there in the creek...so we walked our way back and used Concrete Blocks to construct a Cubby with rotted tree parts to cover it up and make it that there was no holes in the top and the only way a mink or coon could go in was to go thru the 160 at the entrance!

Well, yesturday Morning, I go back in and check...that set is ripped all apart with just the concrete blocks setting where we had placed them and the rotten tree parts laying all over the place, the 160 laying in the water set off and the Bait Gone (I'm sure it was a Coon)
So, I remade everything, put more bait and lure in the little cubby and reset the 160...After I had it all secured, I looked at the wire Trigger and felt that the 2 wires should be a little bit together instead of far apart like they were...

So, I thought I could just grab hold of the 160 by the square jars and hold on TIGHT and with my other hand Squeeze the wires back together without hooking the Safety J Hooks back in place to hold the springs open and just let the 160 set where it was at instead of picking it up..

BIG MISTAKE!!

I grabbed hold of the square jars and held on tight with 1 hand, grabbed the 2 wires and started to squeeze them together and WAM!

That 160 caught a Thumb!

It caught just the end of my Thumb...made it bleed pretty good and Throb!

I thought for sure the way it hit me, I was going to have a black and blue thumb nail today but it is not black and blue...but it sure does STILL Hurt!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page