Success Rate - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Success Rate

I have trapped 3 years (no expert but learning new things every year)and try to target coyote, fox, bobcat and Fisher. I do not have the time to commit to long lines and and having sets out for months at a time. I am curious what other trappers success rates are for these furbearers. For example this year I set 10 sets first day of Fisher season and 6 more sets 5 days later. In total I trapped 10 days 5 days with 10 sets and 5 days with 16 sets and caught 1 red fox during this time period. I am trapping in north central part of the state where we do not have many farm fields and large tracts of forested land is prevelant. Just wanted to see if this is common for the animals I am targeting and area I'm trapping. I think I should be catching more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 11:10 AM

Re: Success Rate

Every area is going to be different.Depends on whats there to catch.Do you see coyote,fox or cat turds on the logging roads where you trap?Do you go out after a snow and see many tracks?Are your sets getting worked but your not catching anything?Are you setting on the sign your seeing?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 11:22 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestman3
Every area is going to be different.Depends on whats there to catch.Do you see coyote,fox or cat turds on the logging roads where you trap?Do you go out after a snow and see many tracks?Are your sets getting worked but your not catching anything?Are you setting on the sign your seeing?

This is the best cut to the chase reply you could ask for. Answer his questions and you should get an answer to yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 11:26 AM
The Man

<span style="color: #660000"><span style="font-weight: bold">I trapped 10 days 5 days with 10 sets and 5 days with 16 sets</span></span>
10 days + 5 days with 10 sets = 150 traps checked
5 days with 16 sets = 80 traps checked
Total 230 traps checked with results of 1 Red Fox caught.
Very poor results larry smith. Very poor, but think you should be catching Coon, Possums, Porkys, or a Skunk or two. Just seems you are not on location.
I suggest learning your area and know where and what critters live & travel, learning locations, learning animal behavior, learning animal travel ways, pretty much learn the animal(s).
Forestman gave sound advice.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 12:20 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

"Very poor results larry smith. Very poor,"

i trap northcentral PA, and it aint easy. there's probably more trappers around here than most areas, and as he mentioned, we dont have those prime locations to set on. you set what you can, how you can, and in doing so, knowing you're not alone. as well, he mentioned he only put sets in the start of fisher, so yes, while the weather was warmer and i have snapped coon, grinners and skunk during the warmer days, december isnt going to produce the same types of those numbers as early season, not to mention, many critters of that nature were probably snapped in early season. forestman said it best "Every area is going to be different.Depends on whats there to catch." i've long said that land determines the success of a hunter/trapper more than anything as the best trapper wont ever catch fur where there isnt any, and the worst will snap a few things on places that are overrun. i've gone weeks with empty traps before; sometimes it happens. i'm not a die-hard, i run smaller lines closer to the house where i can get them checked after work. thats what works for me. obviously what works for you is different, and thats fine, but to tell a newer trapper that his results are 'very poor' compared to someone like yourself who is practically on the top rungs of knowledge/experience is...well....
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thank you for the replies from all. I think I may have butchered the days trapped in the original post. 10 days with 10 sets = 100 checks and 5 days with 6 sets = 30 checks giving a total of 130 checks. Im getting about 0.7% catch rate. Is this still a poor percentage of catches for the target animals (coyote, fox, bobcat, fisher). What kind of catch percentages are other guys seeing?

I do see some dropping on the logging roads. I cant tell if its from a coyote, fox, or bobcat. I do see some tracks in the snow most years but they do not seem to come through consistently like a deer does. Its seems to be sporadic movement. I usually make sets at logging road/gasline/powerline intersections. The only traps that were set off this year while running my line was the red fox that was caught and one other trap that was snapped but the chain was not even pulled out of the bed. Not sure what made it snap.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 12:39 PM
Frequent Contributor

[quote=larry smith The only traps that were set off this year while running my line was the red fox that was caught and one other trap that was snapped but the chain was not even pulled out of the bed. Not sure what made it snap. [/quote]

That may have been pan creep.

This post is possibly going to be a very informant one.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 12:42 PM
The Man

South and larry, am sorry for stepping on your toes with my opinion. Sorry.
The figures shown added up to poor results. I stated that.
larry knew that coming in and reason why he posted.
I offered some suggestions.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 12:51 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

a fired trap in the bed is usually from freezing/thawing, and in normal years i get a couple from traps that have been sitting a while, but the warmer weather this year shouldnt be producing those misfires. are your traps nightlatched? could have just been a misfire from one not having enough bite on it to hold. i dont do much maintenance on my steel, but at the start of every year i do run a file lightly over the dog and such to remove any rust and buildup that prevents a good hold.

as for your 'success rate,' i couldnt tell ya compared to mine as i dont keep track, but i'm sure mine isnt as good as most on here; that doesnt bother me though. as stated, Potter county is full of trappers and most places i trap have other lines ran as well, plus usually has harsh weather conditions to deal with, so i dont expect great numbers given situation. what it comes down to is, what works for you. trapping is way more to me than just snapping fur- exercise, scouting for hunting season, just being out in the woods, etc.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 01:08 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

"The figures shown added up to poor results. I stated that."

for your area, yes, but remember, PA is a pretty big state. i can have 6 inches of snow and go back to bare ground at my parents; that affects trapping. some guys have hundreds of acres to themselves, and i see other sets in between mine when i walk my lines; whats a 'good success rate' for one guy on 60 acres? what about 2, or 3 trappers working the same property? i wasnt teeing off on ya to be a deck- just saying many times i see guys take their [fill in the blank] and compare it to everyone else, and it cant be done; i'd hate for a newer trapper to get discouraged thinking they're doing very poor, when in reality for their area/situation, its about normal. the suggestions were definitely good, and thats what we collectively should focus on, not simply a 'numbers' standpoint as that will vary given a number of reasons. i definitely agree with your suggestions 100%, but can say because i trap in northcentral myself, it takes a bit. i've caught every land animal there is to offer, but i surely dont snap them at the rate others on here do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page