Who does this? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
mud
New Arrival

Who does this?

So after three years I decide to go back over to Pa for a cat, more or less as an escape to some health stuff my wife is going through...so I get my non resident license and Ive been heading over a few times to prebait some cubbies I ran a few years back for about three years straight and did well on cats.

Last trip over I see someone put in a couple dirt holes with 20 feet of one cubbie and another spot where I typically run two dirt holes had a couple of dirt holes by the same trapper.

A bit discouraged but I still had a couple spots to set. Fast forward to today and Ive got a week off to play and I go to my one remaining pre-baited cubbie about 1/2 mile away and whaaaam,,,He didnt drop dirt holes on the cubbie, but instead he placed his trap inside the pre-baited cubbie.

I already did a short out of state trip with my son to Vermont this year and saved beaver carcasses for pre-baiting, spent the time to pre-bait the spots Ive caught in the past...I accept that its public land and all an respect that I will get stepped on to a degree, but seriously...who sets their trap in someone else's baited cubbie.

If that guy by some chance is one here, you sir are ethically bankrupt. I certainly hope my work benefits you.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 09:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Who the [censored] does this?

Talk about low, can't get much lower. Say any more I'll get into trouble, feel you pain.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
mud
New Arrival

I think we have all seen others do things we wouldnt necessarily do....but I honestly dont even know anyone who would do this to someone else....It was unreal...I think you coulda heard the profanity laced tirade from a quarter mile away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 10:04 PM
The Man

I feel for you, been there.
I make many sets ahead of time.
Years back, I had the same problem as you. Before the season, I pre-made dirt holes and beds (no bait) for Fox and pre-dug pockets and tunnels for Mink.
When I got to some of my pre-made sets, I discovered traps set in several beds, pockets & tunnels I pre-made. It was frustrating and worked me up, but I never touch the fellas traps or sets, although I wanted too.It was then I realized I couldn't be at every location at 7 am and there are other trappers around.
I learned from those mistakes and nowadays cover/hide my pre-season work.

This may be hard to swallow, but forget about it and learn from this experience. Hide your pre-season work.
Learn from each experience, Learn to deal will completion, keep a level head and use your woodsmenship.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 10:32 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Maybe he thought you already caught one and you were done.

IGNORANCE IS NOT AN EXCUSE FOR YOUR STUPIDITY!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 11:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Who the does this?

back I the late 70's I had cubbies for coons all along streams that I set every year for coons , then when prices skyrocketed "trappers" came out of the wood work and were using cubbies on my private property ... probably the same era that hern had his problems
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
mud
New Arrival

Lol even if he thought i was done...maybe its just me, but to place my trap in someone else's baited cubbie is bunk.

I personally didnt even set nearby in the areas where I know he is, let alone would I ever consider using a cubbie that was already baited...An empty cubbie Id just swallow, but really???? a baited one? lol
Of course maybe that beaver just took off his coat and crawled in there and died...it has been warm...it happens.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 12:42 AM

Probably someone who wanted to tick you off in order to scare you away. No other reason to set something up like that.

Public ground trapping in PA during the bobcat and fisher season is a time where we see a lot of competition. Very similar to opening day of trout season where we just have to learn to be courteous and get along. Some can't seem to do that though.

I for one wouldn't feel very accomplished catching a cat in another mans cubby...lol.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
mud
New Arrival

Im with you coonduke...i could never bring myself to do it. Im used to the competition thing over there I spent a few years over there and have been fortunate enough to take some exceptional cats there.

I honestly wanted to leave on the spot but I thought the same thing as you..I stayed. I have a strong urge to go set the cubbie that he dropped dirt holes along side of.. Not that I expect to catch anything or find it there if I did, but its the principle of it.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 12:51 AM

Ugh. Reading that makes me mad.

I haven't trapped in a few seasons now...

As some of you may remember 2 things....I was pretty hard into it and loved it...and someone shot and stole a coyote from a cable that I worked my butt off for....

I haven't set a trap since...

Why can't people leave things alone that aren't theirs?

I'd tossed a fuse in that cubby and warmed my lunch up...

Like you said..it was BAITED. That's just pathetic....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page