Rabies in fox? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Rabies in fox?

buddy gave me a call last night, gray at the bottom of his driveway acting weird. he walked up to it and it stayed laying there and he could tell something wasnt right, so he gave me a call. i came over, and it had finally gotten up and tried walking away but looked like he'd been nipping on the ol'mason jar the way he was stumbling around. i dispatched him and checked for obvious signs of being hit by a car or something, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. figured i'd let him hang a day or two for most of the blood to drain just in case, and i'll know more when i skin him- if i skin him maybe- but any guesses? young gray. if it were a coon acting that way i'd definitely guess rabies and wouldnt even bother with the thing, but this was a young gray, and other than acting drunk didnt display any other normal rabies signs, and being disoriented can be more than just rabies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 02:59 PM

Re: Rabies in fox?

Do you think it may have eaten some kind of poison ?

Nature can teach us alot.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 03:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

rabies, distemper, parvo, and any other sort of illness or injury.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

thats a possibility, but right now, anything is really. i didnt spend a lot of time checking it out while alive, actually, i shut the lights off on it about 10 secs after pulling up. it was standing still when i got there looking at my buddy, starting taking a couple drunken steps when i jumped out and only got a few in by the time i walked up to it. had no visible physical injuries, fur was in good condition, no foam or excess saliva at the mouth, and wasnt aggressive in any manner. it could have eaten some poison somewhere, could be distemper, could be several things i'm guessing. just curious if anyone has seen anything similar in a fox before, and if its even worth skinning based on the possibility of rabies.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 03:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

ive heard of rabid fox before locally nothing recent. never personally seen one but i do know of a few cases of skunks with distemper running around here in Bradford County recently. personally id just call the PGC and let them test it. not worth catchin something

The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 06:44 PM
New Arrival

Agreed. Let them test it. Rabies isn't something to take lightly. I got the shots after I had a glove fail on a coon last year. Npellgrene busted my stones and I felt like my man card got dinged up. But I was glad I did it. If ya get it and get clinical symptoms that outcome ain't good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page