Hawbaker's Lures & Epler Fur Co. Smell Testing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hawbaker's Lures & Epler Fur Co. Smell Testing

I was at John Epler's shop (Epler Fur Company) yesterday to replace a broken groundhog (3 in 1 tool) and pick up some red fox lure and urine.

As most know, Edwin Hawbaker sold to Sterling Fur. Many have noticed the quality of the Hawbaker's lures and urines (available through Sterling Fur) has gone downhill. While at John's yesterday I did a bunch of smell-testing, sampling different lures and urines.

The most interesting comparison was between my old stock Hawbaker's gland lure and the new stuff, completely different smell. Same with the urine, the new stuff is light-colored, weak and watery Not the dark, strong-smelling urine from Bob Wendt's meat-fed red fox that I used to get before the sale.

I'm sad to say that after a dozen years of using Hawbaker's as my go-to lure and urine, I'll not be using it any longer.

The good news is that John sells some red fox urine that comes from one of Hawbaker's old suppliers (not Bob) and it looks and smells just like the old-stock Hawbakers. Also, there are plenty of good lures out there. I bought another bottle of Carmen's Canine Call which I've been using the last few years with good success, a bottle of Carmen's Pro's Choice and a bottle of Epler's Red Delight.

Now if it ever stops raining and gets cold, I can start stacking up the fox again.

Eh...wot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 02:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Hawbaker's Lures & Epler Fur Co. Smell Testing

pros choice and canine call
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 11:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

Was Hawbaker's Red Gland ever pasty? Got some last year and it's like water. Not sure when exactly the switchover occurred. I thought I read on here before Edwin sold the recipes to Sterling, so it's a shame to hear the quality isn't the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 11:56 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut
Now if it ever stops raining and gets cold, I can start stacking up the fox again.

How bout it...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 08:48 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

One of the most inconsistent things as far as quality goes for me to find has always been urine. I would find myself spiking it or wishing I would keep a few fox and collect my own. I have cages but don't use them.

I've purchased a few gallons from Kasten since he quit getting it from Wendt and it is of good quality IMO.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrabfan30
Was Hawbaker's Red Gland ever pasty? Got some last year and it's like water. Not sure when exactly the switchover occurred. I thought I read on here before Edwin sold the recipes to Sterling, so it's a shame to hear the quality isn't the same.
No, it was never thick enough to be considered pasty. My old stock is thicker than the new stuff though.

Eh...wot?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 12:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Green as grass in may here- but have noticed variation in canine call the last few years- imo. Still works regardless just seems to have thickened up a little. I used to use Carmens Pro mix urine/glandlure with great success. I gather my own urine from caught fox and have not had to buy any last couples seasons.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 01:52 PM
Regular Visitor

Can I ask how you gather it ?? Does the urine stay in the fox after you dispatch it ??
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Here is a link to a Bladder Collection Tutorial my daughter and I made back in 2009.

Eh...wot?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page