Marking Traps? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Marking Traps?

Just got back from a hike with the family up off goldmine road near boxcar trail. We were no more than 250 yards into the hike and our Shorthair got nailed by a trap less than a foot off the main trail. She started crying and it scared the heck out of everyone including myself. At first I thought she may have been hit by a rattler, but I got to her quick and realized what was going on. She walked away and kept right on going. We ran into the trapper setting the rest of his traps all less than a foot off the trail where numerous people were out walking their dogs. I realize it's state game lands and they are for hunting and trapping, but this is one of the most used trails in the area. I'd be the first to admit I know nothing about the laws of trapping. Is it legal to set traps that close to a trail and do they have to be marked with some sort of ribbon or something? Even if it is legal it's probably not the smartest place to be placing traps.

Hunt 2G, 5B, 4C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 06:09 PM

Re: Marking Traps?

Traps only need to have a tag attached to identify ownership. Flagging traps would lead to a lot of stolen steel. As far as trapping on SGLs, that's what they're they're for...for hunters and trappers.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Agreed and I have nothing against trapping, but hunters and trappers still need to use common sense. I know most western states have a 50 foot setback for traps set off trails... I just didn't know if that was the case in PA.

Hunt 2G, 5B, 4C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 01:16 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampTBW
Agreed and I have nothing against trapping, but hunters and trappers still need to use common sense. I know most western states have a 50 foot setback for traps set off trails... I just didn't know if that was the case in PA.
no set back when trapping , only safety zones and a trail isn't that
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 01:29 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Problem is that the trails and dirt lane are highways for coyotes, i.e. best places for sets. My friend was running his dog up there and ran into maybe the same trapper, who warned him about the traps.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 01:59 AM
Frequent Contributor

When I ran beagles and at times we as a group may have 7-8 dogs It sure was fun back then. Any traps set in cover or along a path they should know we hunted like right next to cover or in a ticket we would just unset the trap and leave them be. If it was on privet ground would set off trap place in tree. I always set in open areas or about 50 ft. from brush, bench in field, maybe like a bale set in the field. They will travel to the set. Trail set always in odd places where I hoped no one would be running dogs. Trapping a game-lands where there's dog running is just a waste of time, why would set where you would have a chance of catching a dog and having to remake the set ?? Most fur-bearers travel many miles a day so I say try to pick a smart place.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 02:39 AM
Banned

Hoping the dog was on a leash and not running free, with the PA leash laws. But you probably had the common sense to figure that out. Non hunters and trappers should be aware of the seasons, when they are going on the SGLs to avoid any issues.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 03:07 AM

Oh your dog is smart enough to know flagging ribbons mean there is a trap set there? Really? Flagging wouldn't have prevented this, free running your dog after a legal trapping season would have. Not a shot or a jab, just the facts, your dog is a canine and prob smelled a lure intended for canines...should I keep typing or do you understand now?

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 10:58 AM
Frequent Contributor

just saying here..You broke the law more than the trapper..

#1 leash law in PA
#2 you cant mess with a trappers trap even to let your own dog out of it(i agree with what you did just letting you know the law is all).

he could have set those traps right in the middle of the trail and been 100% legal..not smart but legal.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 12:14 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy (punchie)
When I ran beagles and at times we as a group may have 7-8 dogs It sure was fun back then. Any traps set in cover or along a path they should know we hunted like right next to cover or in a ticket we would just unset the trap and leave them be. If it was on privet ground would set off trap place in tree. I always set in open areas or about 50 ft. from brush, bench in field, maybe like a bale set in the field. They will travel to the set. Trail set always in odd places where I hoped no one would be running dogs. Trapping a game-lands where there's dog running is just a waste of time, why would set where you would have a chance of catching a dog and having to remake the set ?? Most fur-bearers travel many miles a day so I say try to pick a smart place.
Perhaps you should not have ran your dogs where you should have known a trapper would set his traps! What you did was illegal.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page