npellegrene's Trapping Journal 2015-16 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

npellegrene's Trapping Journal 2015-16

I think this forum has been a bit quiet this year... let me see if I can do my part and stir things up!

Heading into the season I knew I'd need to take things a bit easier after a major injury to my right leg and knee. Therapy helped and it's healed well but is still holding me back... a pinching pain with every step but probably more so mentally.

With that in mind, I knew I'd have to set a new goal and way to push myself. Rather than trap all things, each week, with every trap I decided I would focus on one critter at a time and make the days count. My goal for the year is to catch as many fox and coon as days set. So if I trap fox for 15 days, I need to catch 15 fox, etc… along with continuing to chase firsts such as fisher, bobcat, and beaver.

I set a line before Thanksgiving with a 5 day check at a distant SGL for red fox
...a line over Thanksgiving with a 7 day check for coon and hopes of lucking into any mink.
...a line with a 10 day check the last week of rifle season on my home SGL for red fox.
...and today, well today I spent at heaven on earth setting a bobcat line with hopes for many more.

Now I need to upload and organize some pictures to share. I’ll leave you guys with this one until tomorrow!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 09:08 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: npellegrene's Trapping Journal 2015-16

glad to see your at it , cant wait to read your updates
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 10:47 AM
Frequent Contributor

Ahhh, come on, you teaser. Those are some testing goals. Glad to see the journal unfolding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 11:28 AM
Part of the Community

I agree with Howie, looking forward to it!!!
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 12:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Love the journals
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 05:10 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The first journal with it's own pilot/ teaser- neat... Did you ever get that dyed raccoon back from Tubari?
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 11:12 PM
New Arrival

can't wait !
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Holy Smokes! This week flew by... Opps! I didn't mean to be a tease. I’m off for two weeks chasing critters, friends, and family. I look forward to these weeks all year but why do these days fly by so fast! Finally, some computer time :-)

Line 1 - Set Day
As I have for the last three seasons, I chose to start my season at a SGL 35 minutes from home. While last year I trapped fields, creeks, and woodlands catching more than a handful of coon and a few fox; I set the fields only this year targeting just red fox. I staked my sets the Sunday before Thanksgiving and planned to pull them Friday AM after five checks.

Time to get dirty…

I must have been busy putting in a good effort because I only stopped to take one picture of a set. At this corner I placed a dirt hole up against the brush line and a scent post next to the one high stalk by my bucket and basket.

I had 23 traps staked by the time I remembered forgetting to eat. I stopped at 3pm to drive down to a local pizzeria and do my best to finish off a pepperoni pie. After fighting every urge to call it a day thinking that was good enough, I drove back up to the game lands and burned the rest of daylight in one more field adding another four sets. I finally quit after the day told me it was over when just about all my gear failed me…

In hindsight I figure I’d put in about 300 sets with these tools over the last two years. I can’t be too upset.

27 sets, 5 parking spots, 5 days to check with a goal of 5 fox.

-------
Check 1
-------
Two Fox!!!

I’m off to a good start was all I could keep thinking.

-------
Check 2
-------
1 Fox!!!

Oh yeah! Keep em coming!

-------
Check 3
-------
Yup, saw this coming. People who don't know how to behave… two stolen traps. I made my usual call to the PAGC reporting the incidents.

Oh… but I still caught two more fox :-)

To bad this guy won't make it to a board.

-------
Check 4
-------
I had set a triple at a real hot spot from last year. No action so far, but seems I had a visitor last night.

Oh, and almost forgot to mention… one more red fox!

-------
Check 5
-------
After pulling a dozen empty traps I parked at my third spot. As I was loading up my gear and offering a friendly hello to an orange leaving his vehicle, I could hear one of his buddies up the road yelling... “Hey, do you have your furtakers? There is a fox up here pouncing on a mouse.” I asked the guy I was walking the road with to kindly ask his friend not to shoot the fox I had in my trap. As I approached I found I had a double in my trenches… actually, my first multi species double! The group heading out to hunt birds was nice enough to come up and take a picture for me. When one asked where I was trapping because he didn't want to step in one and lose a leg, I took the chance to show him the trap and how there wasn't a chance of that happening. :-)

I ended Line 1 with 7 fox and an incidental coon in 5 checks… Goal met! (4 fox and a coon in the freezer, 3 fox with mange not)
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Line 2 - Set Day

After looking at my vacation balance and having some extra days due to canceling a summer trip, I decided to take off the week of Thanksgiving and try my hand and walking the woods for PA bear and build my excitement for Mondays. It wasn't until Monday night that I pulled the lids off a few boxes and got some coon traps cabled up. I walked a familiar creek I’ve trapped for many years and threw out DPs at all the spots I’ve had luck with in the past. It sure was a beautiful night!

I also planned to trap mink while walking this creek but setting bottom edge sets would have to wait until daylight. This year I connected with a guy from Instagram photos and we bartered some of my homemade canned goods he drooled over for a few of his homemade mink boxes and wild mushrooms!

-------
Check 1
-------
Good to see they're still around here! One coon for the mornings check.

I set a few 110s for mink but held out on digging any pockets guarded with #11 long springs because dummy me left all that bait at home.

I learned one very big lesson as I took my time slowly setting over the two days was how much more sign I noticed. I found four different set of mink tracks in just over 300 yards of creek. Pleanty of other tracks as well.

Here he ran under the log…

So I blocked it up and put in my security system :-)

-------
Check 2
-------
A little coon here. I might have let go but I caught him so close to the houses, I figured one less would only be appreciated by those letting me trap there land.

I also had one sprung 110, look at this…

Caught on the trigger. I bet I can't repeat that one.
I ended the day with two coon in all and another warm day to enjoy wandering around for a lucky bear.

-------
Check 3
-------
Coon!

After checking what was established I decided to head over to another creek I wanted to set a few mink sets across one or two hundred yards. Looky what I found. More mink tracks!

I think this is mink skat as well…

I liked this guy he liked getting his picture taken :-)

Another day, and a pair. Four and counting.

-------
Check 4
-------
Turkeys are my friend, two less egg eating possums.

-------
Check 5
-------
Should have stayed in bed :-)

------------------
Check 6 - Pull Day
------------------
I was happy to make one last catch as I pulled traps and had my cousin along with me.

Turns out we would have two to skin that morning.

Happy guy on the road home.

We took our time at home and I let my cousin skin a coon teaching him along the way. I was a bit bummed I didn't connect with a mink this week but I’ll be back!

I ended Line 2 with 7 coon and 2 incidental opossum in 6 checks… Goal met!
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 01:35 AM
Frequent Contributor

WOW! sounds like your off to a great start! congrats and keep the pics comin : D

The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page