Location Help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Location Help

I dont consider myself a hardcore trapper by any means. my equipment is sloppy my scent control is lackluster and so on but i just like laying steel and having that chance. that being said i havent caught much throughout this year and was wondering if some of you seasoned vets could help me out on moving a few sets.
I currently have an entire hillside im allowed to trap. On the top of this hill is a gorgeous ridge line with some BIG evergreen trees. a few fourwheeler trails throughout the ridge top. and a bunch of downed rotting logs from where the owner cut shooting lanes and such. im thinking no mast crop but would coon and possum go after grubs in the rotting logs? or maybe den in these big pines?
Next the hillside itself. Mainly big oaks with intermittent small evergreens, absolute squirrel heaven. LOTS of widow makers (felled trees that got hung up in live trees). hill grade is pretty steep no real good trails but there is a short logging road cutting right through the middle. i caught my first big boar coon right off that logging road. Finally as you get toward the bottom of the hillside is a man made small pond nothing real special. ive had a DP on the logging road with no action
As you moved past the pond there is a small stream created from the overflow of said pond. its not constantly being fed so it is not running and during some periods can be bone dry. As we get down to the bottom evergreens start dominating again but not near the size of the ridge top. finally we come to a swamp. the swamp is pretty in accessible and dont really have alot of water just mud and cattails.
Im targeting any furbearer except fisher right now i dont care if its a stinky grinner or a worthless coon i just enjoy catching. if any of you seasoned pros saw something in the description above that caught your eye let me know. id love to learn some new things to look for as im out in the woods. Thank you : )(i also understand im asking alot and giving a little and im sorry but any help or ideas will be appreciated

The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 07:22 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Location Help

You have stated a couple negativeness. What sign have you seen of critters at this location?
I would not mind kicking around for a day if you are close.

Home of the J Hook tool& Retrievable Cable Stake.
John 3:16, PTA Life 131N, NTA, OSTA, S.A. CSM
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

i have to use a fourwheeler for mobility so if the sign isnt right on the trail i cant really head off looking for it. lots of deer scat on the ridge line and 3 days or so ago i found scat about an inch long cylinder in shape on that ridge line. i apologize for the lack of info im giving and realize that it isnt ideal. I guess the question i want to know the answer for is what do you look for landscape wise in the woods. or do you NEED to find clear sign

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 09:21 AM
Frequent Contributor

Sounds interesting, what do you see in the form of tracks?
Pic's of the scat would help ID the critter.

Home of the J Hook tool& Retrievable Cable Stake.
John 3:16, PTA Life 131N, NTA, OSTA, S.A. CSM
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 10:05 AM
Part of the Community

Take some pictures of the area you have permission to trap.. get as much landscape in the picture as you can, then post them on here so we can see what your working with.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

ill start takin the camera on checks with me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page