post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
The Man

define visable bait from the air

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 10:08 PM

Re: define visable bait from the air

HUM, Sometimes I wonder about that when I'm setting and find a place I do not want to dig a hole to put the bait back in...Heck a Hole if you do not use a packing over it, you can see the bait sometimes back in the bottom of the hole from above standing back from the set!

I've used Hay or leaves or other stuff to make it not seeable from above, but it still can be seen from below...I sometimes wonder if it is legal, for if you walk a distance back and look, you can see on an angle into/under the hay or leaves or what not, so it would be visable from the air!

That is a GOOD Question to ask! Just like a Water Course!

I can see this 1 getting pretty good and I'll have the popcorn made up to watch the show!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i'm going to say it's an interpretation law.a few years back i asked two different wco's at different times to tell me if a certain set would be legal as far as the watercourse goes,i got two different answers.later that same year i questioned our regional director,barry warner,and from what he told me i would have been legal to make the set i wanted however one of his officers would have issued me a citation.go figure,it's a judgement call for the wco to make,which is not right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
The Man

i saw a few bobcat cubbies on other forums where they use feather flagging. as i understand it the law is to protect birds of prey. so if you make a cubby and flag in the center of the cubby were it is visable from ground level but not say flying over or tree top level you would avoid birds but if you were a bird hovering 3 feet off the ground i guess you could see it from "the air".

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 04:31 AM

I heard a wco today say that setting on carcasses was fine...but you need to set on the trails coming and going from the carcass pile not right on the pile....

Idk what the actualy code says....I know the book says bait visible from air is prohibited...to me, the carcass pile is visible from air and can't be set on....but I guess its just like big game baiting...no set distance just get your trap far enough away from the pile that when birds of pray land they aren't in danger...but I have no idea for sure...just what I heard today...

The bird wing or feather for cats, idk...I see what you mean about a cubby...hanging the feather in a cave like overhang in a rocky outcrop or something like that...but yes, it would be visible from the air if something swooped by the cubby opening...maybe a wco will respond...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06
I heard a wco today say that setting on carcasses was fine...but you need to set on the trails coming and going from the carcass pile not right on the pile....

Idk what the actualy code says....I know the book says bait visible from air is prohibited...to me, the carcass pile is visible from air and can't be set on....but I guess its just like big game baiting...no set distance just get your trap far enough away from the pile that when birds of pray land they aren't in danger...but I have no idea for sure...just what I heard today...

The bird wing or feather for cats, idk...I see what you mean about a cubby...hanging the feather in a cave like overhang in a rocky outcrop or something like that...but yes, it would be visible from the air if something swooped by the cubby opening...maybe a wco will respond...
Mauser,

Mike Spittle and Ralph Wagner (Ralph posts on here) taught the class I was in...

Can not remember Which 1 of them said it, but they talked about Turkey Vultures and CR sets...

Seems from what 1 of them said, if you set trails leading to a dead deer carcuss you need to set back a pretty good distance from the Deer Carcuss (1 of them had caught a TV in a CR)...Reason being, TVs like to land and then hop on over to their meal and can end up caught in a CR...They said it isn't a pretty site trying to release 1 of them (they didn't go into Details but I'm thinking it is from what a TV will do to ward off a Threat...they like to Vomite on or at the thing they feel is a threat and it doesn't smell all that nice from what I've been told!)

Yes you can set on trails leading to Deer Carcusses, you just have to set back some distance from it...Remember, Deer Carcusses were legalized a few years back to be used as Coyote Bait...your setting back at a distance and not right up tight against it, so it really isn't a factor of the Visable from Air law, when I find a Deer Carcuss and am setting CRs, I set my CRs about 50-100 yards back from the Carcusss on trails leading into it!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 02:36 PM

I got ya woody...thanx...I just would never even considered it legal...

I know where a few carcasses are...and know a yote was supposedly living under a building 150yds from the carcasess...we'll find out in a couple weeks (yes I have permission..the land owner would let me set IN the barn if I wanted..)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Regular Visitor

Find a deer carcass that is getting chewed on and cover it with leaves and branches and then set the [censored] all around it. Maybe define bait? Just meat or? Also take a burlap bag feel with deer scraps and hang or a 5 gallon bucket filled with holes and loaded with scraps and then pinned down so cant be dragged away. I think its more of smell than seeing 99% of time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page