favorite CR suI've goier?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

favorite CR suI've goier??

Well now that I've obtained my CR certification, I think I'm gunna try my hand with them this season and pickup legholds and supplies for using them in the summer for next season....

I live in the land of brush fields, crop fields and fence rows...the CRs should do well for me once I get the hang of it....

Just wondering if anyone has any favorite suppliers or suppliers to stay away from for premade CRs...

Only found 1 supplier wit 1x19...was thinking of using them on the yote sets and 7x7 for fox sets...

Just don't wanna order ones to find out they are junk...

And noticed most break aways are 220-285lbs...haven't found anything rated higher....what do y'all think is minimal for holding a yote?? Planning to target yotes a fair bit at camp...mainly foxes at home with a few set for yotes...

I'm excited...great class...and got me fired up about getting some set...I don't expect much other than a frustrating season...but, we'll see what happens...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 10:11 PM

Re: favorite CR suI've goier??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06
Well now that I've obtained my CR certification, I think I'm gunna try my hand with them this season and pickup legholds and supplies for using them in the summer for next season....

I live in the land of brush fields, crop fields and fence rows...the CRs should do well for me once I get the hang of it....

Just wondering if anyone has any favorite suppliers or suppliers to stay away from for premade CRs...

Only found 1 supplier wit 1x19...was thinking of using them on the yote sets and 7x7 for fox sets...

Just don't wanna order ones to find out they are junk...

And noticed most break aways are 220-285lbs...haven't found anything rated higher....what do y'all think is minimal for holding a yote?? Planning to target yotes a fair bit at camp...mainly foxes at home with a few set for yotes...

I'm excited...great class...and got me fired up about getting some set...I don't expect much other than a frustrating season...but, we'll see what happens...
If you set them on trails like was taught in the Calss, Trust me, You will NOT be Frustrated!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 10:45 PM

http://www.snareone.com , my man Newt can fix you right up! As far as 1x19 with a heavier BAD, here you go; http://www.snareone.com/viewitem.asp?id=313

Please support Hunt of A Lifetime! www.huntofalifetime.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanx guys!

Do y'all recommend a 1x19 with a heavier BAD for yotes?? I've read about chew outs and just don't know what rating of a BAD to use...

I'm hopeing not a season of frustrations and empty traps....but, we'll see....actually did some scouting this evening already while I was calling and found a killer trail fox and yotes were using...walking in a single file line....tons of good locations to safely set the CRs...my poor calling saved em all for the CRs lol...

Moved to the far end of the farm and the same thing on the edge of the old growing up abandonded homestead...bunch of fox traps...

I think by setting CRs this year it will teach me a ton about the habits of fox and yotes and good locations to set...

I'm pumped up! Hopefully I can get all my supplies together and be setting on the 26th at camp for yotes...heading up Christmas night for about a week to doe hunt with the flinter, grouse hunt if snow isn't too deep, and yote hunt at night...and hopefully run a few CRs...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 11:46 PM

That sounds like the ideal vacation! Newt is a total snareman, he says the 1x19 is a much, much better cable for our needs than 7x7. He says it's a LOT more chew-resistant.

Please support Hunt of A Lifetime! www.huntofalifetime.org
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanx for the info bob! I appreciate it!

It will be a great trip...if I get snowed in, so be it! Its my favorite trip of the year...

A yote with CRs in the big woods will be a challenge I think...but I'm gunna give em heck if I can get my supplies by then....gunna place an order or 2 shortly...

Yotes seem to roam and almost randomly up there...my best guess is set on my own trails as I walk down an old logging road...every time we grouse hunt a 2nd day in more than a few inches of snow, the yotes used them hard core..walking right in our tracks...

I got a creek crossing I wanna set...safely of course..its a land bridge but they use it heavily...as well as a log crossing...same thing..find a way to set it properly...

Here at home I expect to deal with fox primarily though we have a couple yotes around...

Maybe I will finally get that gray fox hide I've been wanting! Called a red..got a yote trying to sneak out of our bear drive...I want a gray!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06
...I don't expect much other than a frustrating season...but, we'll see what happens...
Don't go into it like that! Once I figured out where they were, I had my first coyote in three days! Location, Location, Location as they say.

I went with Newt Sterling this year as well. I went with another supplier last year and didn't have them "loaded." So I was disappointed with their firing.

Democrats. Making decisions based on emotion since childhood.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 01:21 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Here is a Newt 1x19 snare and the consequences of a coyote twisting. I've got mid-line swivels on all my snares this year. I think it's more twisting than chewing as far as my experiments and testing have shown.
I'm going with 7x7 cable because it's much more flexible and easier to shape and load.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

I'm just concerned about never trapping...but, between running the coon hounds and deer hunting, I spend what most would call an excessive amount of time in the woods....just brain storming, I've came up with tons of game trails I wanna check out as well as a bunch of possible set locations...I think that will be the key...I spend a lot of time in the woods and know my area real well...once I get the loop height and size down, I might catch a critter or 2....

I'm gunna order both probably 2 dozen 7x7 and 1 dozen 1x19...test em out..see what I like and what works for me..

I'm pretty excited..I need to start a list of the game trails I know of and possible set locations so when I'm ready I can grab my gear and throw on the boots and go...set as I find what I'm looking for..I already have good ideas of what directions to head...

Thanx for the pics number17...I was thinking of atleast 2 swivels as well...maybe even attaching my CR end swivel to my anchor via a box swivel or something like that as well...more working swivels should also be better on the fur...

Thats one thing I'm surprised by...I've heard damage is minimal to none on the fur with a neck catch but if a hip catch you'll likely have a fair bit...I figured that there would be some...and extra swivels may help that some...I don't know...

Being a shark fishermen, I know a bit about cable....for big sharks they actually use single strand wire...(I know that's not legal for us...) but a bunch of small strands are easier to cut and break...less large ones are harder to cut/break....but, in our case of CRs, the flip side is its a stiffer cable...

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Well mauser will be joining the trapper ranks! Just placed 2 orders....I got more than enough to get me through the season id imagine....4 dozen stakes and 3 dozen CRs...if I go through 3 dozen CRs, well, I will buy more! Lol.

Got 2 books on "snaring" sets...id imagine 90% of them we can't use, but, will give me ideas id imagine...and maybe limit me bugging y'all lol!

One order I got from a local supplier and will pick it up...gunna try to meet them on the 26th..if they are available...ideally, that works best for me...

Then 2 dozen CRs and a book from snareone...hopefully I get them before Christmas...if not, I will have them when I return home from my camp trip...id just like my beefier CRs for up there as I know I'm gunna be dealing with yotes...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page