Son Who Wants To Trap - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Son Who Wants To Trap

My 12 year old son really wants to start trapping and I have zero experience or knowledge to help him out. Any suggestions to help get him started would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

EXPERIENCE IS SOMETHING YOU DON'T GET UNTIL JUST AFTER YOU NEED IT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 09:24 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Son Who Wants To Trap

This is exactly how I got started trapping. Son wanted to, I knew nothing an had little to no desire to start trapping. Locate someone for your son to go with on a trap line for the rest of this season. If you don't know of someone this is a good place to find someone. Fortunately I knew of a fellow. Here's the thing though. Being that your son is young, you probably will want to go too, so you'll want to see how it's done so you can help if needed. If you do what I did and tag along... You'll get hooked. Then it will be time to break out the wallet, LOL. It's priceless though, I wouldn't trade the experience and time with my son for anything. We love it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 01:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

buy 1 or 2 traps, make a few simple log sets, bait with rotten meat and catch possum to start. definitely helps to have a seasoned mentor. but, if your son is anything like me at that age i was EXCITED when i caught my first grey squirrel using a marshmallow, and you dont need a pro for that lol! : D just start out getting a feel for it, make mistakes, and once you REALLY catch the bug (and you will) you can invest money into more and better equipment. Good Luck to you and your son and i hope you have success!

The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 03:46 PM

Just started this year. Took my 12yr old Daughter with me to check Traps. Opossum was in one of the traps about 20 yards from us. Never seen her run so fast to check it out. Great experience. Good luck to you and your son.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 03:58 PM
The Man

Also, use sardines in some sets under a root along a creek. You can simply put the trap on the ground with some leaves on it and catch coon, possum or mink. Not the best way, but I did it for a long, long time with success.

Living the life one day at a time.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

There are also a ton of videos on you tube to watch and learn from I think I've seen most of them myself.

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 09:42 PM

The route i would go is buy a couple dog proof traps and appropriate bait...

$50 give or take should have you a good few traps...add a furtakers license and you are set...

Coon are usually abundant in most of the state...usually not super hard to catch...and the dog proofs are fairly easy to use as well...

From there you can decide how much you guys like trapping and how deep you wanna get...

Its a daily task...unless you can check sets from your living room that means going outside and stomping around...every day...sick? Cold out? Gotta work late? Bad weather? Etc etc..Law says 36hrs (I think it is...). Once a day..every morning..is my rule...

Its fun and addicting...but not for everyone...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 10:29 PM

Go up to Johnson's furs in Enola and just hang out for awhile, look around and ask questions. Leave with what you need to get started.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 05:27 PM
Part of the Community

Robby gilbert trapping time dvd has good info, they have a YouTube channel too. Outdoor insight I believe it's called.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 10:04 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

spend some time learning tracks and then spend most of your time finding animal sign. With a limited amount of traps and no experience the best thing you can do is set where you know the critters have been. It will help you through the days of empty traps. A few traps set on sign will outproduce many traps set in random places, especially for a new trapper. Walk a creek bank and check the sand bars, you should see coon and mink sign. Dig a hole in the bank just above water level and bait it with fish. You will catch coon, possum, mink, muskrat.

A haiku is just like a normal American poem, except it doesnt rhyme and is totally stupid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page