Newbie question trapping wooded public land - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Newbie question trapping wooded public land

Hey guys, I've been trapping heavy woods for coons, fox and yotes without much success. During pre season scouting along a stream I found I saw some coon tracks and know for sure they're yotes running around since I've heard them recently and maybe had a pull out due to a lot of yipping and a set off trap. Just wondering if you guys had any tips for heavy woods trapping, and maybe some tips for the stream where people in the area say there are a lot of mink bouncing around that thing! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 11:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Newbie question trapping wooded public land

if you are in fact a new trapper I can give you some advice , focus on coons , and be happy with them and the possums you catch . when I was a new trapper as a kid I was always thrilled to catch coons . focus on their travleways , look for tracks .not trying to steer you away from the canines but keep in mind they are the ultimate predators , lots of frustration involved in catching them . good luck
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Yes definitely new to trapping the only experience I really have is walking to a pond for some muskrat with my father when I was a kid and a lot of you tube lol. I was definitely thinking sticking to the coon , opossum even skunks. I did gain some experience this year with the dp's that bear really love to clean them out! Lol maybe I should start using some coil springs in dirt holes? Pocket sets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

And thank you for the advice dietsch, I'll take all I can get!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 11:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

ill send you a message , I think your close by
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 01:29 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Pocket sets are my go to when im not using coon cuffs. Use fishy baits/sweet baits for coon, I use 1 1/2 coil springs for them, coons are drivin by water so space them out in the creek.
Fox and coyote I use 1 1/2 fox #2 for coyote. Meat baits worked well for me. Stay clean when setting k9 traps, take the rust off your traps, use gloves (don't touch yor bait and lures with gloves) and wax them, when you do dirt hole sets make that trap firm! Don't let flip flop in the bed, no moevemt.
Mink make your self a cheap box for a conibear with muskrat for bait, no conibear use a pocket set with muskrat or fresh fish like trout , panfish etc.

DP tip, I've learned fast that mice will clean you out every night, so the guys in here told me a styrofoam cup to cover it or a golf ball. Marshmellow under the trigger with peanut butter for bait for me.

If you got any muskrat take your 110 conibear a and put them in thier runs or even better, over the holes if you find them, if you find a hole and it had dusty trail in the water coming out of it, it's occupied.
I don't know how experienced you are so this might of been a waste of time but you got any questions at all PM me, keep your traps clean for those coyotes and foxs !

2E
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks Mathews94 , definitely not a waste of time, any advice helps! Gonna get back at em this weekend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page