Setting up for fur - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Setting up for fur

Is it your style to set 2-4 sets and head to the next place and repeat? Or do you set more traps per property?

This season a place asked that the trapping start asap, as they felt they were covered up with coyotes. Being a place that has seen my steel for 30 years I have the locations pinned. Trouble was there are so many good locations that over the years have really produced when set. Instead of just setting a few locations, 15 sets were made there. A record number of coyotes have been taken this year with a double yesterday, 9 so far. These 2sets were newly made 2days ago.

Also the vacation line had 2 places get set heavy for yotes and they also had record year Yote numbers.

Have I been missing the boat on gang setting good spots?

Have been on a place now for 5 checks with no yotes caught yet. Pulling for deer season, plan on adding 6-10 today to up the odds before pulling.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 01:02 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Setting up for fur

I have made a point this year to set at least 2 traps at every location. Its something in always did but I always ended up with some singles. Be it laziness, short of time of whatever, I always still end up with some singles. But I've had probably less than a dozen locations all season with a single set. My best and hottest locations sometimes get 6-10 sets. Very few of those for me in pa, but 4-6 sets at a location here is not uncommon. It makes a difference. I hear some guys preaching sometimes that too many sets will put them on alert of ruin a location.....lol......even read it in the pa canine book i think....yeah right, same guys probably believe in scent control and alpha male coyotology. It was explained to me like this by the best coyote trapper in the world, if then traps are scouting and prospecting for you, one or two sets are OK. But if you known its a good spot why not just set 10 and be done with it and only have to make a couple trips back?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 01:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I know Bob Wendt likes to gang set when the situation calls for it. There are 7 coyotes in the picture and supposedly 5 more there that you can't see.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 03:33 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Funny this is brought up, I've got a couple of hot spots that I only usually run 4-6 traps (at the whole farm) and will usually have a fox every morning in one or more of them. I know where they run and that covers it. Other places I 'think' i know where they should be going and set those locations, pick up a straggler here and there but always feel it should be putting out more. Was just thinking last night I was going to possibly go and put pairs of sets all over the place and get it figured out. I'm guessing thats what your saying, more traps more possibilities, but at the same time I guess I had in my head from reading somewhere about having too much lure and basically trapping on top of myself which now I think isn't as much of an issue as I had originally portrayed it to be.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 06:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

My style is to set the best location I can drive the truck to and then make two dirt holes side by side. If it is a large farm I may set another double at another location that I can drive to. This is what I have been doing for years now, knowing I am on the best drivable spot. However I too have been thinking of prospecting other sets at some of my farms that have not been yielding the catches like past years. It gets me second guessing myself on best locations when I am running blanks on most farms for days in a row. So I believe I am going to set doubles at multiple locations more so than I do now at some farms but there again for me I have to be able to drive the truck right to the sets.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 09:01 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

^ Exactly what I was saying, although I don't mind doing a little walking as I usually have to anyways. I have spots where I KNOW there are fox there and same thing I will have empty checks for days in a row.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 10:26 PM
Part of the Community

Typically I set as you said 2-4 traps and go to the next property. These are set on locations that I feel are the best on the property and that are easily accessible as my check time is limited being I typically check before work.

Most of my farms are spread out but a few are clustered and those ones that are clustered I typically stick to 2 traps as my thought process is I have 2 traps right across the way. Farms that are spaced out I put a few more typically thinking I am in a different pocket of fur and need to maximize my chances. Time again plays a big factor for me to be able to get through my line so I cant set as many traps per property as I would like in order to get through the properties I would like to cover in the amount of time I have.

I also think the more traps you have on several good locations on a property the better your chances are for coyotes. I typically run a farm for no more than 2 weeks so where I may have a few chances at a fox traveling that particular location being their home range is smaller I may only get the coyotes to come through once or twice. Just my thoughts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Funny how nearly every trap set gets some sort of action during its time out when not gang setting a place. I have been tending to lean more to the set heavy thinking lately. If many of the sets are very shuttle with just urine I don't worry about over use of lures being reason for rejections.
I've seen that Pic before. It is what got me to really rethinking my approach.

Often when only able to stay on a farm a short time I will set heavy. If a Yote is cutting thru a property i want to be set up to meet it in the AM.

Many times after spending a week on a place with very little action I will set some other locations. Like majic they start biting. Set up a place today with 5 new sets. Have been there 6 days with 1 gray caught. Snap!

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 03:13 AM

I have a couple farms which are very good and I have been setting them for many years.

There is not just one location on them that gets all the action. One farm I sometimes set 5 spots with 10 traps. Guess what, they all produce pretty much equally year after year.

Thank God there are a lot of places that there really is only one accessible spot...I would hate to have to set that many traps on every farm...lol.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Not being restricted to truck only travel opens up many more locations but, takes more time per spot. Reducing number of properties manageable at once.

Getting recon each day from a larger part of the property is part of the fun to me. By running the property each day after snow, patterns develop in the way of tracks and such. By just stopping at the most convienent spot on a place I feel much can be missed. If running a mixed fur line many spots must be passed over if truck trapping only.

No matter how we run them, let's have Fun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page