waxed dirt, buckwheat hulls, peat etc.... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

waxed dirt, buckwheat hulls, peat etc....

So, I've read a lot on here about using waxed dirt, peat, buckwheat hulls etc in the winter....

I understand you don't wanna use the dirt at the set as the moisture leads to freezing which is a horrible thing for trapping...not to mention its frozen and won't sift or pack at all lol...

But, when trapping cannines with their powerful noses, can't they detect the smell of the dirt saved from a different location or smell the peat or buckwheat hulls etc???

What about antifreeze agents and salt I've read about using on/in a set to farther help freezing??

Id think it could all blow a set? But obviously not?? You'd just think a critter that will dig up a trap because it was touched with bare hands or a little drop of scent fell on it would know somethin was up when it smelled different dirt and all that???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 06:32 PM
New Arrival

Re: waxed dirt, buckwheat hulls, peat etc....

I use hulls or wax dirt and get cannines all winter. I use them the same at all types of sets. Clear the snow and hammer out a trap bed, drive your stake or use your drag, put a thin layer of whatever in the trap bed, bed your trap solid, cover with whatever, sift snow back over the set area and you're good to go.

Corpsman up, 692 Navy Corpsman on the wall, 1104 Army Medics.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 06:43 PM

Hulls are $$$ We switch to all haysets in cold temps

A government that doesn't trust it's law abidding citizens to bear arms is unworthy of trust itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

That's just surprising that the foreign scents don't ruin the set and chances of it working....

Hulls cost money...peat isn't bad but id imagine its light and fluffy and not the greatest bedding material? Waxed firt is work and preperation...not to mention you gotta carry your choice...

Hay sets seem to be a great choice...but if targetting yotes, cats, or fisher, it would be beneficial to know how to make sets in the winter....

Just thought that smart animals with the noses they got would notice the foreign dirt scent and dig it up or avoid the area....maybe they have no reason to....they don't associate the smell with danger and maybe spikes their curiosity or something....who knows...it obviously all works....just surprises me and figured id ask...thought maybe there is a chance of getting dug up oravoided etc..
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

they are animals(they are dumb). you are thinking in to this way tooooooo much. go get some steel in the ground. i personally don't like buckwheat hulls(too hard to bed a trap). in your situation i would use peat moss and table salt, top coat with dry dirt then table salt on the top of the dry dirt.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking the same eagerbeaver...wild animals and hungry and gotta do what they do for food...not to mention curiosity etc....

If I get in the cr class, I may try them this year...but doubt I set any leg holds this year...had my heart set on chasing fisher...my trip got messed up....so I found a cr class sat I wanna try to sneak off to...and maybe set some this season....cheap and less work/adjustments/mods etc...will atleast get me in the field and learning this season....and I can start gathering supplies and traps and learning for next year....maybe even pick up my traps this winter/spring before I move for work in the spring so my buddy that welds can help with some mods...I just wanna do it right..not jump in and be totally frustrated....I have yotes here at home and lots at camp so I do wanna set for them and have the proper traps built well enough to hold them...

Just was thinking about the foreign dirt...who knows I still may set a few if I set CRs....
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:12 PM
The Man

bedding a trap in peat, hulls, wax dirt, ect is only hard if you don't have your bed dug right. with rgular dirt that you can pack you are just compensating for a poor bed. which in the right weather is fine because its faster and easier but in freezing conditions or frozen ground you just need to take a little more time and care. dig your bed like a soup bowl so the cross frame is pretty much sitting on air and if it still rocks use number 17's cross nail method.
as far as foreign scent from peat or hulls just throw a little around outside of the trap area so they hit it before they get right at the trap. they are just animals. if they hads much of an idea what was going on, combined with that scence of smell we would never catch them.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Part of the Community

I have to disagree. I believe coyotes are very far from being just a dumb animal
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 11:10 PM
SJA
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleT
Hulls are $$$ We switch to all haysets in cold temps
For me, it's Hay-Sets also 99% of the time in winter. No fuss, no muss!

:-)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 11:34 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I also run mainly hay sets in the winter. Don't have to worry about the freezing and thawing at your set. Makes life alot easier.

On another trapping forum I seen where guys are using RV antifreeze(pink stuff you put in water lines to keep them from busting in the winter) at their sets. They claim their catch rates have not changed since using it.

Any one ever try this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page