sets in the snow... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

sets in the snow...

So I'm debating about getting some supplies together to start running a few traps...I knows its a little late and conditions are tough....that's why I'm concerned and asking this question....

Summer time I made a post about winter trapping and got great advice about making sets in frozen ground....but what do y'all do about snow?? Right now there's only an inch or 2...no big deal....but how do you go about making a set in deeper snow?? Do you clear the snow away?? Id suspect you need to make the set look natural and not have dirt thrown over the snow and would likely need to cover your tracks and some how cover the set with snow again?? Or will digging out the snow and leaving the area bare of snow and some thrown dirt actually attract fox and yotes??

I know I'm trying to start on our harder critters...I just have no desire to catch coon or run water traps...beaver would be awesome but I don't have any one any of my properties right now anyway....

At camp fisher trapping next week I can get by...I know the hemlocks held most of the snow back....

I know here at home haysets should get me fox and possibly yotes...

And I know flat sets on trails being used in the snow will be deadly this time of year....

Just not sure how to deal with the snow aspect....I don't think you can set a trap on/in the snow itself due to it being metal and heating up in the sun and crusting over...bad deal for trapping...I know the freezing/thawing is the killer...I've done tons of reading over the years...I feel confident I wouldn't totally be wasting time....once y'all let me in on the secret of dealing with snow....

I appreciate all the help...this is something I've wanted to do since I was a kid....I'm now laid off and bored...everyone thinks being laid off is awesome...to me its horrible...finances aren't killing me so far..but boredom sure does!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Part of the Community

Re: sets in the snow...

you can go either way. Make a big mess on top of the snow so that they can't miss it, this is atually a set in one of the fur fish and game dvd's call it the big mess set. or you can conseal it all and keep it more covert. If you know you are on travel ways I would use the more subtle sets if you are in a big field where they can see a long way go ahead and make a mess. The biggest thing I try and keep in mind is drifting. Try to keep your sets where the snow blows off of them not 4 ft deep.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanx for the info! Sounds like I'm on the right track...I know real time on a line with an expirienced trapper is the best way to go....but, I like the learning and I'm not afraid of trial and error...

Snow will actually help as I will have tracks to read where as early season there isn't snow....

Noone traps in my local area and I know there's a good bit of fox and some yotes....

Planning to start this weekend for fisher and yote at camp...never seen cat sign but that would make my day! Lol...then evenings I will spend callin yotes and hunting...will make for a nice trip for a couple of days....fire my traps, come home for Christmas and head back up for flintlock/grouse/yote hunting and reset yote traps...

Some old logging roads and atv trails will make nice yote trapping locations....as well as a creek crossing or 2 I know of....

Leaving the traps will also clean up my scent mistakes and possibly help when I am back up there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Frequent Contributor

get yourself some zonolite or perlite or waxed dirt, you will not have any problems with freeze down. i personally make a mess, i do brush out my tracks at the set. i use peat moss to create the mess effect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page