New to trapping. Advice needed. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

New to trapping. Advice needed.

So I have never trapped a day in my life. My 12 yo son has expressed an interest so we will give it a whirl. I borrowed 8 foothold traps and might buy a few DPs. I think I have a good understanding on bait and use for DPs. The questions I have are for canine with the foot holds. I know from trail cams that I have red and grey fox as well as coyote in the area. I plan on using post sets and dirt holes. What urine should I put on the post sets...fox or coyote...or some of each?? Also is natural bait like a feathered pheasant leg or squirrel parts effective if placed in a log etc? Would I put gland lure with the natural bait. Also do I need pan covers or can I put natural switchgrass under pan to prevent dirt from filling that void? Trying not to get in too deep with expense... Thanks for any replies...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 07:48 PM

Re: New to trapping. Advice needed.

Just started myself. Welcome to the fold. I wanted to start cheap myself. After being out a little bit, I think my budget is going to the toilet. I am truly addicted. Wanted to wait until Bobcat Season, that fell through. Thinking about quitting work and cash in my 401K. LOL You will get some great help from this forum. Where you located?
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Im in erie co but will also trap in venango... Where do I take the critters we catch...not doing the skinning and stretching thing...the few bucks we get will go to my son..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 07:57 PM

From what I heard from 2 buyers I called, prices are really down this year, they are not taking them in the round, even though they said they would earlier last month. But like I said, that was a couple here. Ask on here if anyone knows where fur buyers are in Erie and Venango and make some calls.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 08:00 PM
Part of the Community

Poly fill pillow stuffing for under the pan, any attractor resembling another animal is not allowed to be visible from the air as a law due to aerial predators.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 08:04 PM

Andrew c will help you out. Young guy with a world of knowledge.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I knew the bait cannot be visible from the air...hence placing it in a log or such...
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 08:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Welcome to the fraternity RuffedG.

As far as your urine post question, red fox would be the your best choice. Red Fox urine will pull in red and grey fox as well as coyote. Coyote urine will sometimes scare of the foxes.

Check your regulations book that you get with the license. I believe you cannot use real feathers whether it can be seen or not.

I've heard poly-fill works great under trap pans but I've had issues with it. I've tried everything but found a pan screen cover works best for me. You may want to try a couple of things this year to find out what you like. This year will be a great experimental year for me because most fur is dang near worthless.

Speaking of fur prices, things are so bad that Greg Kohl is only doing his pick up route for NAFA on March 5, 2016 on a very shortened route. Plus, NAFA is reporting little to no interest for raccoon and wild mink.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 08:57 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I would say look at some of the trapping forums online and read thru their archives. There is some good info to be found. Read as much as you can and then just do it. Maybe practice putting a few sets in the yard. Practice helps. Having someone experienced actually show you can save a lot of time and mistakes if you can find some one local to show you some things. Then just have fun and learn

I love The Grateful Dead
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks trapper Rick with the urine post question...that's the kind of info I'm looking for...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page