27lb female yote - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

27lb female yote

i dont trap for money. i got into trapping to maintain [read:reduce] predator numbers on ground i deer/turkey hunt, so big prime fur i could care less about- for regulating numbers nothing is better than a young female. any yote taken is one less hungry belly looking to get fed, and overall thats the whole point; and dont get me wrong, i DO sell my fur, i just dont trap for that purpose. and for why i DO trap, best thing in my opinion to snap is young females. and this was my second on that property, snapped one last week too about the same size.

thoughts? opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 11:45 PM
The Man

Re: 27lb female yote

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 11:45 PM
The Man

Coyote reproduction numbers reflect the numbers lost throughout the year. If you are doing it to make a dent, then the best time is after the females are bred or have dropped pups. Otherwise, you may end up with more next year than previous. We saw that 100% this year. A place we killed 6 dogs at last year, we called in 4 the other night, and there were seperate packs completely around us going off. This is why bounty programs have never worked for them.

Living the life one day at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 11:47 PM
The Man

But yes, keep at it. At least the ones you take now won't be killing game until next year's are up and at it.

Living the life one day at a time.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 12:49 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Govt. studies show that you have to kill 9 out of 10 coyotes every year if you wish to reduce the overall numbers the following year. That is year after year after year.
You will not get rid of coyotes by hunting and trapping them.
They will breed to carrying capacity whether you kill them or not. The only thing that will limit their numbers is the amount of food and cover available.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 04:38 PM
The Man

South872 states-
<span style="color: #660000"><span style="font-weight: bold">...best thing in my opinion to snap is young females.
...for regulating numbers nothing is better than a young female.</span></span>
Why? On what do you base your opinion?
Are female pups easier for you to catch?
Only Alfa female mates. Alfa female produces the litter. Not every female Coyote mates or has a litter.
To maintain a suitable Coyote population would mean to trap and hunt Coyotes 12 months a year in a very large area, not just a local farm or two.
Agree with Hknappy16 & F#17
If you feel you are making an impact catching a Coyote or two, good for you.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #660000">thoughts? opinions?</span></span>
Hunt area help-
Something I do for others that want to maintain a low level Coyote population or have a Coyote nuisance problem...
Use a predator call (mouth call or e-caller) during June, July, August and September to call and kill Coyote in your area.
Pups will respond well. Using Coyote vocals, adults will respond as well.
Call close to denning sites and you can impact the population on a couple or few hunts. This type of hunting and time of year isn't for everyone, gnats, mosquitoes, poison ivy, bees, snakes, cow itch, ticks, heat & humidity. Calling near denning sites is effective. Chose your setups to your advantage.
S872, hope you can get out there next summer and see if this method helps out.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 05:08 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairchild #17
Govt. studies show that you have to kill 9 out of 10 coyotes every year if you wish to reduce the overall numbers the following year. That is year after year after year.
You will not get rid of coyotes by hunting and trapping them.
They will breed to carrying capacity whether you kill them or not. The only thing that will limit their numbers is the amount of food and cover available.
ive heard and read that many times. maybe its true but dead yotes dont breed. that i am sure of.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

"If you feel you are making an impact catching a Coyote or two, good for you."

soooo.....trapping for me is a pointless cause then? i got into it to try and keep predator numbers low on areas i hunt. i know i cant eliminate yotes entirely, but thought if i snapped a few i'd have less to deal with, or others might learn to stay off the farms i hunt.

if thats not the case, i might have some trapping gear for sale..
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 09:04 AM
The Man

<span style="color: #660000"><span style="font-weight: bold">soooo.....trapping for me is a pointless cause then? </span></span>
I wouldn't say that.
You read me wrong and ask for our thoughts and opinions. Just trying to give you facts and didn't mean to rub you the wrong way.
Am happy you enjoy trapping and control predators. Good for you.

South872, do you trap Beaver?
I live in Snyder County, but just got a lead on Beaver in Potter County. A fella from here has a cabin/land in Potter. Seems he's having Beaver problems on his property.
If you are interested in trapping them, pm me.
Hern
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

"I wouldn't say that."

can you expand then? not trying to be an [censored], trying to get educated-thats why i posted it- and i know you're one of the most knowledgeable on here. i know i cant eliminate yotes completely, and i know that litter numbers are based on existing population and on environmental support, but thought if i can snap a couple my properties i hunt, especially younger females, i'd impact their presence in some form or fashion. if thats not correct, then please, educate me. my entire point of trapping is to reduce predator impact, so if what i'm doing is completely pointless, then it makes me reconsider my efforts. it has nothing to do with 'enjoying' trapping, it all goes back to balancing numbers between predators and my dinners. last day or spring gobbler i found- on aforementioned property actually- a month old fawn [or more accurately, what was left of it]. i get the circle of life, but there's only so many deer and turkey to go around, and if i want to harvest them, i thought i needed to limit some other kinds of deer/turkey hunters as well. i'm not a liberal, i dont want to 'feel good' just because; i'd rather know the truth. so if i'm doing nothing beneficial realistically, feel free to let me know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page