Who had an early Thanksgiving? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Who had an early Thanksgiving?

Yesterday I find a turkey drumstick in one of my fox sets. The leg was not bitten off, but pulled so hard that it separated. A turkey is a really mean powerful animal obviously. I know fishers eat em but I don't think there are many in this area. There have been bobcat sightings but not often. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think a fox could handle himself in this fight let alone pull it so hard and separate a joint. However, a coyote could. I am guessing it is a coyote? Anyways there were about 50000 feathers that had to be picked up to make the set legal again. I bedded and blended am MB450 in a flat set outside of the catch circle with coyote trap placement so hopefully he will turn up again. You guys agree in thinkin it was one or more coyotes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 11:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Who had an early Thanksgiving?

in my opinion the trap couldve done quite abit of damage, especially to the leg of a bird. So that could have messed with the integrity of the leg and made it easier to separate. i mean there isnt much there for padding. Ive had a crow in the past and the only thing holding it in was the achilles tendon. as for the fox, a turkey's main defense is spurs im pretty sure. if the trap had his leg tied up and the predator (couldve been alot of things) got ahold of the neck, game over. after the bird is dead the gnaw the leg til its free and off they go. Thats my take on it. Was there alot of blood in the catch circle?

The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Hardly any blood at all in the catch circle and the foot itself in the trap was fine. The breaking point was about 8 or 9 inches up the leg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 02:18 AM
Frequent Contributor

I've caught turkey in mb450s with zero damage to the turkeys leg... Those cast jaws really are gentle and wouldn't have the strength to cut or break a turkeys leg. My bet is that a coyote or bobcat got there before you. Probably a coyote...

It is time to manage avian predators!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 04:38 PM
Part of the Community

I got a turkey in a 4 Coil Duke 1.75. Leg wasn't broken but it wouldn't take off after I released it, hobbled around. I figured it was either me or the next coyote that happened upon her. The leg was dislocated with a lot of damage that I'm sure she wouldn't have gotten over.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 05:39 PM

I cut grass in a neighborhood that has a one legged turkey that's been around for at least 3 years. I see him all the time.

Life Member PA Trappers
NRA Life Member
NTA Life Member
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 06:40 PM
The Man

30+ years ago I caught a wild turkey in a #2 Victor coil spring [the old square jaw type] in a blind set made for a gray fox.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 06:50 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I usually get one turkey a year.Every one has been released just fine out of #3 dukes.I'm thinking a yote got yours considering the strength needed to rip the leg off the body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page