pre-modified? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

pre-modified?

is there anyone that sales traps that are pretty much "ready to set" dipped, waxed, the right chain and swivel and all the right mods and such done???

dont know why i didnt think to ask before...im sure SOMEONE sells traps like that?

its the main reason i never started trapping is i read about all the mods, prep, chain, swivels etc etc i just shy away...im laid off and bored..and got land and critters i could TRY to catch....

if i could find traps...

or anyone selling used traps that are ready to go?? probably 1.75s?? something pretty universal for fox and yotes...

any info?? id appreciate it...

anyone in the area of Beaver co that runs a line?? willing to take on a spectator for a day or 2? that would be the BEST way for me to learn and see how things are done..id be willing to help where i could and stay out of the way...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 02:47 AM
The Man

Re: pre-modified?

IMO people get really carried away with all of these mods that they do to their traps.........the only thing that I do(other than tuning them to fire how I want) is center swivel them, cut a few links of chain out, and add a swivel mid chain...........getting traps ready really isn't hard at all, it doesn't even have to be time consuming.......for the time being your best bet would probably just to degrease them, thriw a coat of wax on them, and call it good.....

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

thanx again buckshot...

i would started earlier, but, i just got back from NC a few days before bear season...so this is the first few days ive had down time..not chasin bear or deer..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 03:09 AM

I agree. Think of it like cars... guys put in high-performance cams, carburators, exhaust systems, transmissions and rear ends... yet the vast majority of people make their commute safely and efficiently in a factory stock car. The only modifications that I consider absolutely mandatory is the addition of more swivels. Secondly would be pan/dog adjustments. All the rest is nice, but not absolutely necessary. Swivel 'em, tune 'em, clean 'em, wax 'em, set 'em! Next summer, piddle around baseplating, dying, laminating, night-latching, etc.

Please support Hunt of A Lifetime! www.huntofalifetime.org
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Frequent Contributor

I saw at the emporium convention, Bill from "bill's cabin" in smethport was selling some bridger number 2's ready to go. Might be more of a drive than you want to take.... I don't know how much he was asking... but you are def. gonna pay (nothing against bill/not directed at him). It's just the fact if you want it finished for you, they are gonna want to be paid for it. I would recommend doing what the others have stated. Buy a couple dozen, add a swivel or two to each trap, make sure they will fire when pan is pushed down (some new traps... you can push the pan down to the frame without it firing!) degrease and wax. You could probably do 2 dozen start to finish in 3hrs I'd imagine. Good luck!

I'll keep my money, guns, ammo, and health care; you can keep your change
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Part of the Community

Joe Fennell might have some ready to go or some used ones at the shop for sale. I can send you his # if you're interested
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 02:21 PM

try bmi traps.already center swiveled,paws i trip pan system,good springs.all i use. and there reasonable priced.

life member pa trappers
distric 1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanx guys!...I appreciate it a ton...

I realize if I'm buying new ones that someone put time in for guys like me the price will be higher...

Redmist, I would appreciate the info...can't have too many good leads on where to get stuff somewhat local
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to jlh42581

youre gonna need much more than just a few traps. look at the mb550(minnesota brand)( http://www.fntpost.com/Products/MB+Coil+...+Offset+Jaws%29 ) http://www.fntpost.com has the best prices i have found in regards to price and shipping... all considered.

you cant just sling a few traps. dying and waxing is the least of your worries. get a metal container big enough to boil 5 gallons of water and all your traps. i got mine at a hardware store. i got an old crock pot and i put 5 lbs of trap wax in it, i dip each trap individually.

youre still going to need at minimum to go out and trap... not including traps...

* a bucket or pack basket(i recommend the basket, the weight in your arms gets tiring fast.

* a couple different lures and baits, fox urine

* sifter

* dry dirt(free under a bridge) or waxed dirt/buckwheat hulls in these freezing conditions

* s hook tool

* 3 in 1 - hammer/shovel/trowel tool

* staking system(i like disposables, i reuse them)

* two pairs of gloves, one for working dirt/traps, the other for handling lures.

* pan screens(can make your own with wax paper if you wish)

* if disposable stakes... a driver

getting into trapping isnt cheap, if you go cheap traps and only pick up the basics you could prob get a dozen dukes, nothing fancy and everything to go for $300.

i dont recommend buying a used trap unless its modified, base plated, swivels, good chain and a shock spring already in it. its just not worth the time or money tunining someone elses junk.

look at it like this too... say you buy a duke trap for $9. if you add good chain, good swivels, a shock spring, base plate it.... you have more in a cheap china trap than if you spent the money on a good one right from the start.

get a video, it will teach you a ton. this guy is out of pa, he shows you how to make sets, talks about traps... a good video for a beginner. its focused on coyotes, but pretty much all trap setups are the same unless you run conibears and are looking to trap water lines.

http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Darin+Fr...ern+Coyotes+DVD

What I say might not be the popular trend but at least Im not afraid to speak my mind!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanx jlh....I appreciate the info!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page