The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Fur prices

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  old beaver 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what buyeers local to Harrisburg are paying for coon? How about the difference from whole carcass or skinned, but not put up, I am not that good yet.

#9 ·
I just talked to Jeff Ott tonight and he said.........

Coon, fox (red and gray), coyote= $10
Skunk = $2 for lots of white
Opposum = $1
Mink = $8-12
Muskrat = Average $6

He said thats what he is paying right now just to be safe on his part. He thinks he is below what the prices wil be later.
I'm keeping my furs till after season goes out. Prob get more then. (never know, could get less too)

#13 ·
eagerbeaver said:
smith, take a prime red fox done up into him and let us know how you make out.
I've been taking my fur to him for the past 20+ yrs. and have put fur up for him. It's true that he grades hard but he has been in business since the mid 70's. So I would think that he is doing something right. I'm not saying your one, but there is allot of miss handled fur that comes through his door, and I have seen it first hand. Everybody thinks they have prime fur and should get top dollar. Funny thing is that before the start of every season, people talk that they don't trap for the "money" but trap to trap and go and catch early fur, Then cry the blues when they don't even make the average. Thing is, it is what it is. Over the years I learned to put fur up to Jerry's specs and with reading market reports I no what to expect money wise when taking my fur to him. So what I am trying to say to you eagerbeaver, don't bash a good friend of mine. Take the time to listen to him grade your fur and don't take it personal when he says about doing something more even to just make an extra buck per piece. Frosty rumps been killing me for some years now, but there aint nothin I can do about that..

#14 ·
82dead said:
A price for on the carcass and just skinned would be nice to know to see if its worth the effort to skin them all
My advice to you would be, try to get with somebody local to learn to skin and put up your own fur. I no you said that you have skinned some but there is proper ways to skin as well. If you can't find a local trapper or dealer to show you then sell whole to a dealer. Just skinning them proper you will only make around a dollar more each. If you are able to put up your fur then by all means start learning how, and when you go sell don't take it to heart when a dealer tells you that you should have done this or that just take it all in and learn. Country buyers are really starting to shy away from buying fur in the whole, because it is so labor intense to pay for help with the fur market the way it is..

#15 ·
smith101 said:
eagerbeaver said:
smith, take a prime red fox done up into him and let us know how you make out.
I've been taking my fur to him for the past 20+ yrs. and have put fur up for him. It's true that he grades hard but he has been in business since the mid 70's. So I would think that he is doing something right. I'm not saying your one, but there is allot of miss handled fur that comes through his door, and I have seen it first hand. Everybody thinks they have prime fur and should get top dollar. Funny thing is that before the start of every season, people talk that they don't trap for the "money" but trap to trap and go and catch early fur, Then cry the blues when they don't even make the average. Thing is, it is what it is. Over the years I learned to put fur up to Jerry's specs and with reading market reports I no what to expect money wise when taking my fur to him. So what I am trying to say to you eagerbeaver, don't bash a good friend of mine. Take the time to listen to him grade your fur and don't take it personal when he says about doing something more even to just make an extra buck per piece. Frosty rumps been killing me for some years now, but there aint nothin I can do about that..
Smith,

What you said is TRUE About Jerry!

I been dealing with him since 82...before that I used to go to another guy just north of Jerry...the guy to the north of jerry (Not sure if he even buys furs any more or has his little supply shop, but he does still trap) used to really complain about furs, this and that and would hardly pay anything... I was told in 82 about Jerry and my Dad took me down to his shop...I walked out of there with more money then I would have from the guy to the north of Jerry and yes Jerry did say some things that were wrong with my furs but he paid me fairly for them!

Since then I've gotten to know Jerry...he is ALWAYS willing to help ANYONE out from skinning, fleshing, stretching and selling and also baits, lures, calls, tapes, CDs, books and what nots...

I think Someone had a bad Fox they tried to pass off on Jerry and he caught onto what was going on and now someone isn't happy about it and is trying to make jerry out to be a bad guy...

Jerry is Fair at what he does and like Smith said, he will explain things to you on why he is grading the furs the way he does!

#16 ·
The book "Fur Handling 2000" by Hal Sullivan is a good book, and he also has a video of same. Between that and learning firsthand from a seasoned trapper or furbuyer, you should be good to go.

I picked up some good info off another trapper, then later went by that book and advice of several heavy hitter "names" trappers online. However I don't know where I grade, if its "very good" or "excellent", or what. The guy I have sold fur to did say I did a good job, and I've even traded or bought raw put up coyotes and stuff from him, and my fur put-up was better than all of them. I use wood fur boards ( basswood) for coon and fox, and wood mink boards. Wire for possums, rats, and skunks. Beaver hoops for beavers- I haven't quite mastered beaver put up, as I had no one show me in person the "excellent" way to do them. Buyer still gave me market price though. He docks for unprime or springy fur, rubs, and cuts, esp 'rats and beavers with bite marks. He has never docked for "bad put up". He grades by size and wether #1, #2, #3, or #4. Nov mink same price as march mink from MD. And though the red foxes may have frosty rumps and other uglies, he actually had to "brag" to another buyer about how big some of the reds I send him are LOL. Also some of the muskrats that are 17".

I haven't talked to him in 2 years now, so I hope he is ok. Lonnie Zehr of NY...

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.