Moraine State Park Trapping - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Moraine State Park Trapping

Just curious if any of you trap the park? I will be moving out there hopefully next fall and have always told myself if I had the ability to walk out of my driveway to check a trap line I would do it and that is going to become a reality soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 11:05 PM

Re: Moraine State Park Trapping

have you checked the regs for the park? i cant remember for sure but i thought state parks were off limits to trapping...i could be wrong...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 11:28 PM
Part of the Community

You'll find some ok areas to trap, some areas get trapped pretty hard and others not so much. A lot of coon dogs, beagles, dog walkers, horse people with dogs, duck hunters with dogs etc. so watch what your doing. I don't trap there anymore, but used to catch quite a few coons in there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 10:09 AM

A ton of feral cats there for your entertainment as well.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06
have you checked the regs for the park? i cant remember for sure but i thought state parks were off limits to trapping...i could be wrong.
Raccoon Creek State Park allows it. Need to call the Park.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 11:10 AM
Frequent Contributor

Most State Park areas are a problem. Watch out for posted areas. safety zones, common use areas (hiking trails, bike trails, ect) people like to leave their dogs run free there.

Home of the J Hook tool& Retrievable Cable Stake.
John 3:16, PTA Life 131N, NTA, OSTA, S.A. CSM
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 12:16 PM
Regular Visitor

I grew up trapping around Moraine and you can trap the majority of it. As others have said, it is a popular park with hunters, hikers and walkers, so stay clear of the trails, mowed areas and near parking and day use areas. I would probably skip the 2-week rifle season as well. Go to the PA DCNR website and click Moraine under "find a park". Click the link for maps. They have an online mapping application for all parks in PA, but you want to download the PDF map under "Recreational Guide". This map clearly defines where you are not permitted to hunt or trap. It also shows the Propagation Area where no entry is permitted. I have seen a slight uptick in the numbers of guys trapping there in the last few years, but there is no where near the numbers that were trapping it in the 80s and 90s. You can find some spots. The bays along the roads get hit hard for muskrats. Good luck this season.

Link to Moraine on DCNR site

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...apark/moraine/
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 02:11 AM

I trapped the park heavily years ago. I once got 51 rats on opening day there. Would always get 150+ rats a year there. That was then, last year, I looked over my old spots.... No sign of any rats. You can water trap about anywhere, except in safety zone areas, marinas, and the south shore day use areas are closed. The 528 bridge areas and back inlets used to be a muskrat battleground years ago, I avoided that mess altogether. The north shore woods always held fair numbers of coon, pressure wasn't too bad. Same with the south shores bordering 422, fair trapping, a little pressure.
Dog walkers, hikers, joggers are common in the park, be prepared for some human interactions.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 01:00 PM
Banned

Be prepared for human interaction and pressure from other is 100% accurate. If you live in the area you time might be better spent securing land with local farmers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page