Is it worth it? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Is it worth it?

I have trapped off and on the past few years with friends but never really on my own.... I was looking to get into it this year and give it a try really on my own. Problem is I have zilch when it comes to traps and am in need of some. Also I am a full time college student only working about 8 hours a week. Which is a reason I would like to get into to earn a few extra bucks here and there. I know where coyotes, fox, coons, and beaver are but just want some input from you guys. Any help or tips will be much appreciated as I am someone who believes the tradition needs to be kept alive.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 10:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is it worth it?

This is positively the wrong year to start iffin you'd like to make a few bucks. Especially if you have to buy equipment and general supplies. Nothing wrong with buying a few traps and spending some time learning.

Charter member of the Bill Morgan fan club.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 11:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Not sure what part of the state you are in , but I'd be willing to pitch in and donate some equipment .. I have some well seasoned traps that will work for everything that steps in them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 11:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

Where do u live?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 12:31 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

You said you went with friends previously. I'm sure they wouldn't mind letting you borrow some equipment. Like others said the market isn't there for making money, however the market is good for figuring things out and learning technique. If you're really serious about wanting to learn, now is the time.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 12:41 AM
Wiz

I have to agree with Scott. I started running my own lines when I was in college in the late 90's. I learned a lot and had a lot of success although only made enough to cover expenses. I moved away to graduate school and hadn't set a trap since mostly because of a lack of space for putting equipment and lack of time for trapping.

This year I have a hankering to get back into it and have been getting my equipment in order for the past few weeks. Looking back, I deeply regret not running a line during the past 14 years. I missed out on a lot of knowledge that I could have gained and more importantly, fun that would have probably allowed me to make some money over the past few years when the market was doing better.

My advice with the benefit of hindsight is go for it as you are in the prime of your life and every year you are trapping you will be gaining experience. Don't leave any opportunities for regrets. During my last year of trapping before moving away to graduate school, I hunted and trapped every day that there was a season in and had a blast. I get lots of time in now, but nothing like I did when in school. Maybe that is why my grades stunk

BTW: I am also a Cambria County native. Lots of great trapping to be had there.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I am currently going to California University of Pennsylvania and I am in the Altoona area a few times a month to see family. My friend got out of it last season and sold all his stuff before he came back to school (never told me go figure). Appreciate all the help and input guys! Cambria county has a good coyote population. I read a few articles about the fur market the other day and wasnt to surprised it wasn't doing to well but I wont be burning to much gas if I do get into it this season.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 02:31 PM
Frequent Contributor

might not fill ur pockets but find someone to go do it with and make memories thatll last a lifetime. sounds worth it to me

The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Anyone willing to help just private PM me. More than willing to buy stuff and send money through paypal
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 10:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

As far as the title of this post "Is It Worth It" you have to put it into perspective. If you want to trap for a profit, than no. If you want to trap for the experience, that's a resounding YES!

Nobody hunts for profit, yet 800,000 people in this state hunt and spend a ton of money on firearms, archery equipment, muzzleloading supplies, etc.. Trapping is no different. You could wrap up a pile of money in trapping supplies but get the same rewarding experience. The one thing trapping does that hunting doesn't is it forces to get outdoors every single day no matter what the weather is or how you feel. Once you set that trap you are committed to check it every single day. Trapping is the one sport that can even make you a better hunter by learning to read sign, figure out travel ways and habits of different animals.

So, is it worth it? To me it is!!

The horizon is your starting point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page