Bobcat ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Bobcat ?

Is there any possibility that some of the veteran trappers could provide a checklist of everything that they woould use to trap bobcats this is my first year, Im in a good area, and have spent deer season scouting for cats...looking good as far as sign. Thanks in advance for your help. PS Im planning to build a couple cubby sets

Take the time to show some respect for the animals we hunt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Re: Bobcat ?

OK you have cat sign located that's half the battle so just remember this [LOCATION] of your cubby set.

Well we all have our preferences but I prefer to use #3 roundjaws in my cubby sets. Inside my cubbies I use beaver carcass and I swear by Asa Lenon's cat lure. Don't expect a catch right away because sometimes it takes a cat awhile to make his rounds.

Best of luck to you.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Frequent Contributor

I am only sharing info shared with me as last year was my first attempt at a cat.

Here is info shared with me from Asa Lenon.

Bobcat are easy animals to catch. All one needs is the proper general location, proper set location and a lure that will most always appeal to their fickle nature.
There are three kinds of sets that are deadly on bobcat depending upon the weather or/if and how much snow we have.
In dirt trapping there is no better set than a flashy looking dirthole with a 4" diameter hole and lots of dirt lured with a very musky call lure. Cats love to rub musky odors on their fur as a cover scent for hunting and stalking. The second set is the scent post set lured with a bobcat urine/gland/passion scent. Scent posts can be made in either dirt or in the snow and no cats will pass one thats big, visible and lured right. The third set is a cubby constructed from brush, evergreen boughs, etc for use in deep snow and snowy weather. Cubbies must be large enough that the largest cats in the area would be able to easily enter, turn around and come back out as cats do not back up and are reluctant to enter tight places where they can't turn around. Trap is set just inside of the cubby entrance to be protected from snow. Generally a chunk of meat bait such as liver, beaver meat, muskrat, etc is place in the rear of the cubby for eye appeal and the musky type lure is smeared around the upper rim of the cubby just beyond the trap. A simple way to make a cubby is to lean some poles against a tree like a tpee and wire them to the tree so they don't blow over. I take a staple gun along and then staple evergreen boughs to the poles to close it in for weather protection. Bait is hung on a nail pounded into the tree. Cubby should be at least 4' high and 2 1/2'
in diameter.
Bobcats are found wherever one would find rabbits and ruffed grouse during the month one is trapping. Generally that would be at or near cedar/tamarack swamps, and thick evergreen or thick brushy cover areas.
Cats like to hunt small game while slipping quietly along the edge of an easy going route. The places to make sets would be right along old logging roads, pipe and power lines, abandoned railroad grades, etc that pass through these thick cover rabbit/grouse areas. Sets for example made along a pipe line would be right close to the brush line, 6' to 10' from the edge as that is where the cat will be slipping along hunting the edge.
Other cat routes that come to mind are field edges that border thick cover and mossy ridges that pass through thick cover always remembering to set close to the edges of cover.

Here is a link to pafurtakers - I asked this question last year there. Bob Jameson posted some nice photos of sets there.

http://www.pafurtakers.com/viewtopic...ghlight=#43067

Good Luck and keep us posted.

If you come to the end of a path, do not turn back, continue on and make your own trail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 06:25 PM

set on sign

Skin that one Pilgrim and I'll get you another

www.prosqueezings.com / Morgan lures

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page