Trap Wax - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Trap Wax

This is my first year waxing traps. Been dying the past few, but never waxed my own.

I went with the double boiler method & I think everything turned out pretty well but I had a question about the left over wax.

This year I used walnut hulls to color my traps, this worked extremely well might I add & saved me a few buck for dye.

When waxing I had some left over pieces of hull stuck to my traps that ultimately were then left in the wax pot. Also some color leached off as well, but that's to be expected I think.

do those of you who wax their own traps filter their hot wax when finish? or just leave the dirt, hulls, grass what ever in the pot and fire it up again next year?

here's a photo of my cooled wax this morning...was clear, now brownish.

and the finished product
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 03:49 PM

Re: Trap Wax

I simply let it cool, secure a lid on it and reuse as is the next year.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 07:24 PM
The Man

Nice job. Traps look good.

<span style="color: #660000"><span style="font-weight: bold">When waxing I had some left over pieces of hull stuck to my traps that ultimately were then left in the wax pot. Also some color leached off as well, but that's to be expected I think.
do those of you who wax their own traps filter their hot wax when finish? or just leave the dirt, hulls, grass what ever in the pot and fire it up again next year?</span></span>
When you take traps from boiling dye, hose them off immediately to rinse off excess dye and residue. Can be placed on plywood or paved driveway, to rinse off. Then hang to dry before waxing.
Your traps will leave less dye and residue in the wax pot with a good rinsing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 08:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

Most of the garbage will sink to the bottom of the pail. Knock out the wax when cool and trim it off.

Home of the J Hook tool& Retrievable Cable Stake.
John 3:16, PTA Life 131N, NTA, OSTA, S.A. CSM
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 10:55 PM
Frequent Contributor

Don't worry about the dirt/dye, not like it has a negative smell to it. I always Wash mine off before waxing, and my wax is pretty dark. Your traps look good.

Charter member of the Bill Morgan fan club.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Good idea on cutting off the junk.

Hern, I noticed all the extra debris on my traps I dipped first, they were the round jaws in the picture. The next batch I dyed were the square jaw traps seen in the photo, I rised them off and you can clearly see a difference. My dye was still clear and hull free until I dipped those round jaw traps. Rinsing them off certainly helps
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 09:54 AM
The Man

With Walnut hulls or Sumac used for dying...
place in a socks, nylons, onion sac, this will cut down on residue in your dye tub, in turn prevents sticking to your traps, but will do a good dye job.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 02:36 PM
Part of the Community

I agree with Hern above,,, we use nylons and old socks. The nylons occasionally will tear but generally hold together fairly well.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Hern,

I'll give it a shot - I simmered my hulls in the pot for a while, then used the pot lid to strain the liquid off and into a bucket. Into another bucket I threw the hulls & filled that bucket with water. Back in the pot with the died liquid I strained off. This got most of the debris out. But something to better strain it would be nice. I'll try what you suggested next year.

on a side note, leaving those hull soak while I was boiling allowed me to continually add more dyed water to top up my boil pot so I wasn't ever thinning down my boil water, rather continually adding more dye from the walnut hulls. It worked very well, i'm thoroughly impressed and it was minimal in effort as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page