coon poop - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

coon poop

Has anyone ever seen so much coon poop that it looked like Big Piles of Bear Poop??

My Buddy that has the farm keeps telling me that there are Muskrats in his Pond...I've trapped it for 4 years now and have had No Muskrats and found No Muskrat Holes...

Well yesturday he was at it again, there are muskrats in the pond, you need to set traps around it..and I told him like I been telling him, I can find No Rat Holes and No Rat Tracks and No Rat Poop anywhere around the Pond but had last year found Mink tracks in the snow going thru the cat tails...

So I went in Saturday afternoon and told Him I'd set traps all around the pond again...Walked around, found Mink tracks again in the mud....made a few sets on the 1 side of the pond for mink...got to the back side of the Pond and found HUGE Piles of Poop that had grape skins, berries, nut shells and all kinds of different stuff in it and it Looked to me exactly like all the Bear poop I have found...So I called another Buddy to come in, he looked at it, looks at me and says, that sure does look like Bear Poop but where are the Bear Tracks?

So we go to looking, We found Coon Tracks in the mud about 50 yards away and started looking close to the cat tails and found trails after trails after trails in the cat tails and all the weeds were matted down from the coons running thru there so much...
I put in many sets, used 160s, 1.5s and my dog proof traps....

Has anyone else seen coon poop so much in 1 area that it looked like a Bear had been there and took a "Nature Call"??

This is a First for me, I've only found places in all my years trapping where the coons went and it was just a small pile not Huge Piles like I found today!

There was about 5 different spots and each spot looked like they were using it when they had to go and had huge piles built up that it looked like Bear Poop!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 05:05 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: coon poop

They are raccoon toilets. Not sure what the significance is. Sometimes they are in/near prominent objects, like a huge tree in a field. Guaranteed place to catch them.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundragriz
They are raccoon toilets. Not sure what the significance is. Sometimes they are in/near prominent objects, like a huge tree in a field. Guaranteed place to catch them.
These 5, 4 were in the middle of the Cat Tails and the first 1 I found was in a grassy area by a No Trespassing Sign (Think the Coons were trying to tell us something about the no Trespassing sign?)None around Trees

Like I said, this is a First for me in all my Years Trapping, NEVER Seen anything like this before!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 09:15 AM
Frequent Contributor

I've been seeing large piles around what I believe to be denning trees.

I'll keep my money, guns, ammo, and health care; you can keep your change
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Regular Visitor

I have found the same thing around power line poles, scat all piled up.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Part of the Community

I have only ever seen it one time before. It was beside a stream, piled up by this big rock, under a bridge. Big coon tracks all around it, with trails leading from the nearby woods, down under the bridge.

If at first you don't succeed.... reload!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Regular Visitor

The area I'm talking about is apowerline pole with dirt piled around it and the scat is on top or the pile.There must be at least 12 piles with berry seeds in the scat.Lots of coon tracks also.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 02:07 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've seen coon toilets that are big piles of old and new. One was where a large rock had split in the middle creating a big cavity, and the coons were going inside. The others were on the top bales in a barn. I've seen smaller piles at the bases of big old trees here and there.

Hopefully you will have a bunch of big fat coons piling up the next couple days.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

There is a little problem...

I set yesturday and all traps sat unfired over night...

My Buddy who came over yesturday to look at this poop and thought also it was Bear poop till we got to looking around for tracks was out Today with another guy he and I know from the area that traps also...

B has places also where he found what now I come to find out from this thread are Coon Toilets...he set trails baited with Carp and Trout Oil, Set blind sets on the matted down trails leading into the coon toilets and had them sit since the First Week of November along these Coon Toilets with 0 coons caught off the toilet areas!

Doesn't sound to promising to me from what B had happen and he is trapping not to far away from the area I'm setting right now where I found these Coon Toilets yesturday!

He and our Buddy pulled all his traps today due to B going to Camp for Rifle Deer Season....

I'm just hoping I take a few coons out from around the pond, will help in keeping the Sweet Corn Raids from being bad next Summer!

Since I started trapping on my Buddy's farm, there is still coon damage to the sweet corn but not as bad as it was before I started trapping on the farm 8 years ago!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I set where I see coon tracks that are fresh- so maybe try that if the toilet sets don't work. And yes I have had coon refusals myself. Like where I am trying to get the coyotes, I once set some of the stream for coons, by where I saw tracks. I caught 1- and it ripped my wire off the cement block and I could not find it. At first I thought I had caught an otter it was such a mess and animal so strong. The landowner was clearing some brush and junk a few months later and found a coon mostly skeletonized with my trap. Made me sick, as he said it looked like it was a pretty big coon, and I had checked close to this pile that day it happened. I really need a freakin trapline dog.

So far this season, I've caught more coons dryland in fox/yote sets than I caught on that stream ( 1 vs 3). This even after the landowner had to shoot 4 of them last spring for tearing up stuff on his front porch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page