PGC April Agenda-Beaver Bodygrip regs - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

PGC April Agenda-Beaver Bodygrip regs

I just checked the PGC April meeting agenda, and there is the following proposed regulation on there. I'm puzzled;

§ 141.62. Beaver trapping.

(b) Unlawful acts. It is unlawful to:

(3) Set body gripping traps larger than 10 inches in height by 12
inches in width or without a single offset trigger positioned in parallel not more than 1 1/2 inches
from either vertical section of a set trap.

I'm assuming they are buying in to the otter avoidance thing with the trigger regulations, but I sure hope they provide a diagram of how they want them, because I'm not clear on exactly what they want. Single trigger assembly with both wires straight down, or both wires twisted and straight down? Also, any idea who makes 10x12 traps?

Please support Hunt of A Lifetime! www.huntofalifetime.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 08:35 PM
The Man

Re: PGC April Agenda-Beaver Bodygrip regs

I am guessing they probably mean it can be a double wire trigger but they both have to be within 1 1/2" of the bar. Of course single trigger could mean a single wire, I guess. Like you said, hopefully they provide a diagram. Now I wonder if this will be just for "beaver" sets, or if it will be the same trigger set up for 160's and such for mink and rats too??

Living the life one day at a time.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 12:23 AM

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bob, good question. I don't think anyone makes 10X12's. So with the trigger deal, I guess that makes circle triggers, which I have on most of my 330's, are out of the equation ? </span>

" Put that smell down. Won't come around without that smell."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 09:59 AM
The Man

I thought 10 x 10 was the limit? I for one am about sick of worrying about the stupid otters. We can only use 2 body grips now. The 15 foot from the dam makes it darn near impossible to set a trap in some of the small streams because anyplace a beaver has pushed up rocks or sticks could be considered a dam. And a year like this year when it ices up hard, if the feed pile is less than 15 foot from the hut you might as well stay home as try to get baited sets in.
More people who have no idea what we do trying to make laws. Sometimes i think my Grandfather was right when he told me 20 years ago that he thought the GC was tainted with anti's.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm hoping the trigger deal gets wrote off as recommended when in otter areas, the size enlargement is because all brands of 330's don't measure 10"x10", some are 10 x 10 1/2 etc. It should just make all 330's within the law
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 04:45 PM
The Man

They really need to do some explaining with this law. I just got out my 330's and not one of them will allow me to get my trigger within 1 1/2". I can bend the wire horizontal at the trigger, then bend it down vertical to get the wire inside that, but the actual trigger will go no closer than 2" because of the hump in the jaw.

Living the life one day at a time.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat
Sometimes i think my Grandfather was right when he told me 20 years ago that he thought the GC was tainted with anti's.
Makes one wonder with some of the stuff going on within the agency lately.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 11:04 PM
The Man

I can't use them at all here in DE. No body grippers bigger than 4". Crazy thing is, we're allowed to trap otters.

Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat!
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 11:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainhippie
I can't use them at all here in DE. No body grippers bigger than 4". Crazy thing is, we're allowed to trap otters.
every state that borders pennsylvania has a season on otters , now thats crazy !!
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 12:08 AM

If 330s are such a otter killing tool...why don't the PGC let us use standard beaver traps (#5s, MB 750s)??? Bigger footholds give the trapper more incentive to make a castor mound set as opposed to blocking off a channel with a 330. Bigger footholds allow the back foot of a beaver to be targeted thus the trap can be set deeper. I think I can count on one hand how many states are limited to coyote sized traps for beaver.

I also find it amusing that in a state on the verge of getting a coyote bounty we cannot get a defined distance we can set from exposed bait. The bulk of states have a 30 foot set distance and seem to have no problems with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page